BR best Chinese food

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pontius Pilate, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Celtic Tiger

Celtic Tiger Tiger Stadium West Dorm

Golden Dragon vets blvd. Metairie :wink: River Shang Pork very good.

2. Dmarzio

Dmarzio Founding Member

Yeah, I was about to suggest this. It was built only a year ago or so, and I used to go there a lot when I lived right there. I loved that kung pao shrimp. Good stuff.

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Its not Chinese, but we went to Waka House for lunch this week. The sushi was outstanding. And by sushi, I mean Nigiri and Sashimi. Generous cuts of fish. My wife had a Hayden roll. It was also very generous. Presentation was very nice.

And the table of 20 Japanese when we walked in was a comforting sign. I believe they ordered one of everything on the menu.

We will definitely be going back.

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Honorable Mention (good service, portions, etc)

One I felt worth mentioning (not that it's the best) is a little place on Coursey called China Express. Not the most awesome you'll ever have, but it's pretty good, and they deliver. To top that, the dinner special that costs 6.95 is about 5 pounds of food.. they are very, very generous. Makes for a good lunch place or if you live near there and don't feel like getting out it's convenient.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I will throw another into the mix, Tasty Casian on Essen. They opened about a year ago and changed the name and menu a few times looking for their identity but their food is great, great portions, for a great price. I have been a few times and never disappointed. They have those huge bowls of rice noodles where you can add what meat goes in, etc... and it is very good. They give you a side of chilies and other condiments so you can get the spice to your liking.

I have also had the pepper steak and it is the best I have had anywhere in town.

They also have some cajun dishes and dishes that are not asian for the kids. Looks like they are becoming a hit because for the 1st time I have been there it was packed for lunch and I talked to 2 regulars who go there at least 2 times a week.

My brother and I shared the pork and shrimp spring rolls, I had the pepper steak, and my brother had the charbroiled spare ribs and it cost $23. I was full and that is a feat at that price. Each asian dish is served with a large portion of sticky rice and a side of pickled cabbage/carrots (their play on Kimchi).

Can't find real Kimchi anywhere outside of asia from what I understand. It is basically what I explained above with a bunch of spices and buried in huge pots (Not the word I am looking for) underground for years.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

We eat there all the time. About $30 feeds three of us and we end up with leftovers for the next day or lunch.

7. PSU2LSU

PSU2LSU Veteran Member

I'm chinese so I'll way in on this thread.

The best chinese food I've had so far in Baton Rouge is at Koi Sushi on West State St. I know it says Sushi right in its name, but there is a chinese food menu there as well. The cook is from China and the food is authentic chinese food. I brought my mother here and she really enjoyed the food. Now this isn't your typical Shrimp fried rice joint. It's a halfway decent sitdown restaurant serving authentic chinese food.

8. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Agreed 100%. I'm friend's with the owner's son and all my Chinese friends have nothing but good things to say about Koi.

Waka House is owned by Chinese too.

9. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Went there today and enjoyed it. Had the Banh Mi and it was huge. Def want to explore their menu a bit more. Owned and run by a vietnamese family so it is pretty authentic. I was hesitant at first at them also serving cajun food too but it's definitely a place I'll go back to

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Glad you enjoyed it... Some of the cajun stuff isn't bad but I stick to what I came for.

It was actually opened up by the son of that family and I noticed his parents started getting involved a little more. Before it was just him and his friends. Nice guy...

Sounds gross but I grave their Vegetarian ham spring rolls dipped in peanut sauce.