Brady deserves a big raise...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUstudent, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

Character has to do when asked the question by a reporter at midseason about his contract and he replies that it is not important during the season.

Character is when asked a question about his contract after the season is over and he uses words like fair, same level as, committment to facilities, not looking anywhere else, not going to play another school against LSU, talking about his immediate family so on and so forth. Did you see one word about demanding more money? Our coach has more character in the end of his finger than you will ever have. BBA meetings are every Thursday at 7:00. I suggest that you go.

2. Cajun J

Cajun J Founding Member

I suggest you blow him. I've got more important things to do with my time than attend basketball meetings. Apparently you don't.

I've read all I can stand of this.

3. HOULSU

HOULSU Founding Member

Worst. Arguement. Ever.

This isn't about whether or not $750k would feed his family, pay his rent, etc. This is about the fact that all employees should be paid scale based on their accomplishments and weighed against the market. If 9 other people in your office make $100k and you have been doing a good job overall coupled with knocking the cover off the ball recently, would you settle for a $10k raise on top of your current $50k salary? If so, please come work for me...

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Ok, just because this seems to be a high concentration of the dreaded Brady Bashers, let me post what I just posted on another thread, so everyone can take a reality pill... And for the record, why are we saying $750K, Brady gets paid $715k.

Re: Less Talked About ... Will the Coaches Stay?
    Ok, I'll admit that I'm a bigger Brady fan than many on this board. That being said, the guy just got his team to the final four. And the Brady bashers are coming out in force offended that the dude asked for more money. The arguments seem to be the guy had one good year, the dude needs to "prove" himself some more :shock:. Well, let's just try to keep it real here.

Brady was paid under a $715K per year contract. He's asked for a $500k raise to take him to $1.2M. Before everyone casts stones, let's see what the SEC coaches are being paid per year (note that this is the "package" everyone's base is lower and there are games that can be played with incentives):

Tubby: $2.5M
    Billy D: $1.7M
    Pearl: $1.1M
    Gottfried: $1M
    Stallings: $981K
    Heath: $773K
    Lebo: $750K
    Brady: $715K

So, before you cast judgment on Brady's requests, note that Brady is the eighth highest paid coach in the SEC. The man has been to the final four, he has two SEC championships, 3 SEC west division titles, 3 POYs, 3 FOYs, 2 COYs.

He's asking to be paid $1.2M which would be the third highest coach in the SEC, and no other coach in the SEC other than those who would be paid more than him, have been to a final four. There are those that are saying that $715k is a lot of money, but that's not the right question. If you want to win in a market, you have to pay market, right? What's Brady's market? SEC coaches. This is not even taking into account that Big 10, Big 12, Big East and ACC coaches can get paid more.

So, what do the real LSU "fans" think Skip should do? Play cheap, offend the guy that's brought LSU's men its first final four in 20 years, and then go pick up some unproven mid major coach off the streets for less? Or pay a guy who's weathered one of the worst college basketball probations in history and rebuilt the program despite the probation and moronic "fans" out there.

I think that Skip should meet Brady's request, or if not for valid financial reasons, pay him slightly more than Pearl, and spread some cash around to Trelor, Pierre, etc. Let's be honest, basketball should be the second highest invested in sport at LSU (and, no offense to Smoke, but the baseball programs treading water), and it has the longest way to go to catch up with our SEC brethren.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. RESTORE THE FAITH.

5. lazcreek

lazcreek Freshman

Why does he need such a large raise by getting to the final four with (ATHLETIC ABILITY) only?

What about all the so/so crappy years, did he take a pay cut when his teams sucked?

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Damn...I can't hit the bad rep button enough in this thread...all you funkers are idiots...WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STOP BASHING THIS GUY?!!! Nothing is ever enough.

I GUARANTEE if Brady doesn't get a decent raise and heads to another school that is WILLING to pay him, we won't get the sweat off of a good coaches balls here...DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

LSU needs to get off the purse and give the man some recognition. He has run a clean program and is beginning to get results. If any of you think talent alone gets you to an SEC Championship and to a Final Four then funk it...YOU call Skip and say YOU will coach for 40K and call it even.

You know what? I'm done...you asses take it over...

7. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

God love ya... I wish I had the talent to say it exactly like you just did.

8. Cajun J

Cajun J Founding Member

Then what is the purpose of a contract? Why does he agree to a 5 year contract at a set price, then want to restructure? I can't understand why this is acceptable in sports. If the consistency lasts, then he will deserve the big bucks. Whether or not any of you want to see eye to eye on this, but 750K is A LOT OF MONEY. Coaches making 1 million plus is an amazing amount of money. I just don't think that anyone should automatically be showered in the benjamins for one good year. It should be consistent.....

There was an arguement that other schools sink more money than LSU into their basketball programs....and they may be successful....sure. But what about the other sports that they don't sink money into. Do they have an around-the-board sports domination? Someone posted in another thread that LSU was one of the most successful in ALL sports combined. You can't compare football to basketball. It's apples and oranges. Tubby's salary cannot be justified as why we should pay Brady on that level. I just have trouble feeling sorry for someone who makes nearly 1 million a year.....that it's not fair and he should make more. Am I wrong? Obviously there are many of you who disagree. Does anyone agree?

Believe me, I'm not Brady bashing. I am speaking in terms of NCAA and pro sports as a whole.

9. ziabarilsu

ziabarilsu Founding Member

Refer to my post in the other "pay or dont pay brady" thread.

Give the man a 285K raise immediately. 1-3 year contract. Bonus Clauses that give more money if he wins the SEC Championship/gets to the Sweet16/Final Four/Championship Game. (Similar to how saban was the highest paid coach in NCAA Football after winning the National Championship)

These incentives could probably bring him up to 1.5-2 million depending on how grateful LSU wants to be. But, if he barely wins the SEC and gets knocked out pre-sweet 16, he only makes 1 million.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

First off, Skip approached Brady during the middle of the season about redoing his contract. Brady isn't the one who initiated talks about a new contract.

Secondly, do you believe that schools shouldn't fire a coach until the contract expires? If you expect coaches to honor their end of the contract, do you have that same expectation of the school?