Brady deserves a big raise...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUstudent, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Cajun J

Cajun J Founding Member

The contract has to be paid out to fire him. So I guess that means that the school is still honoring the contract.

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

As the previous poster indicated, LSU can fire CJB at any time (with an assumed buyout, I presume). Does LSU have to uphold the contract for the full time stipulated? Of course not. How long does he have to be "consistent" before he "deserves the big bucks" ? I would argue that he's been remarkably consistent his last 5 yrs, having more SEC wins the last 2 yrs. of any program in the conference. 750K certainly is a lot of money........for you and I. I don't know what you do for a living, but my training and expertise allow me to make a decent living, but not 750K. However, 750K is not much money for a D1 HBB coach at a major, state flagship university, one that endeavors to excel in all sports. What we sometimes fail to realize is the return on investment these coaches bring to their respective schools, good or bad. Has CJB been worth the 750K? I would argue that in real dollars and cents yes. In intangible terms, absolutely. Coaches, like professional atheletes have a short shelf life. You and I may argue that it's crazy to pay someone 30 million to catch a football or 100 million to throw a baseball but that's the economics in which they operate. I don't like paying the doctor $115.00 for him to tell me I've got a cold, but I'm paying for his expertise. The fact is Brady deserves an equitable pay raise, one that places him in the ballpark with other coaches in the conference. For Lebo to make more than CJB says lots more about LSU than it does CJB.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

The buyout is normally less than what the coach would have earned if the length of the contract was honored.

You can't have it both ways...

4. Broke

Broke Founding Member

And since I have said it in another post, I will say it again. Why have a contract if it can be renegotiated. What if I went to my employer (don't really have one cause I work for me) and told him that because I was a great employee now, I will require a renegotiated contract with substantially more pay. He would throw my arse smooth out of his office. But wait, didn't I agree to commit x amount of years for x amount of dollars?? I wouldn't renegotiate shiat until the contract has expired. Is he worth more, absolutely, but you agree to what you agree to!

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If we want a revolving door on our HC's office, than we should keep the head man's pay at $715K per year. If we want stabiltiy no matter who is the coach, we need to pony up. Brady does deserve a good raise, his assistants got one last year but most likely aren't in the upper tier of SEC assistants either. His program has gotten progressively better in each of the past 3 or 4 years and all signs point to us staying good.
    I keep seeing all of these posts about us only winning because of superior athletes but I saw a UCLA team the other night that was at least as athletically gifted as us. Brady coached this team to a great season, he deserves an increase, and I like the idea of making his base around the top 3rd of the conference and giving him more incentives based on accomplishments, including retention and the players making the grade.

6. Broke

Broke Founding Member

I agree with your statement 100% but a contract renegotiation should come from the employer, not the employee. I am not saying that is what happened in Brady's case. If Skip wants to "ensure" that a coach will stay around, then he should approach said coach and offer to renegotiate. What I don't like is when a pro athlete is in year 2 of a 6 year deal, has a great year and then demands to be compensated at a higher rate.

7. cajdav1

Welcome to the world of not only coaching, but also to that of top level executives, school presidents, research doctors, athletes and news personalities around the nation. Coaches are following the lead of top executives and company leaders in the business world. And me thinks that you wouldn't go to your boss about tearing up that old contract and replacing it with a new one unless you knew you had other outlets in case he did show you the door.

8. cajdav1

Pro athletes are about the only ones that are really locked into their contracts, as most companies won't even fight when you want to leave, so sometimes an athlete threatens to retire or something as his leverage. We all believe they should honor their contract, but if we were in the shoes of someone who was grossly underpaid per the market, we might feel differently. It's the ones who are being paid right at the top of their ranks that I've a problem with.

9. cajdav1

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Who initiated this renegotiation ... Skip or Brady?

Contracts are made to be broken, renegotiated, torn up, burned, etc...