Brady disinterest in Martellus Bennett major cause of losing football prospect

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Feb 1, 2005.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Do you think Miles is just a little peeved at Brady at this point?

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

gotta disagree. he'd be a walkon. our walkons dont get pt so what would it hurt? it doesnt hurt the bball team really to not have him, especially since im guessing hes a post player-we've got a few of them.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i agree brady should have offered bennett a spot. he may not have been able to contribute, though. if youre referring to ben vgood, i think hes gonna be a good player. plus he's a guard, we need them. we dont need post players as much. dont forget. butch saw vgood, liked him, and told brady to get on a plane to see this kid. they didnt settle for this guy.

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

No link, we watched it with our own eyes on Fox Sports. It came directly from Bennett's dad's mouth in an interview. So this is either the case, or his dad lied on national TV.

5. friday

friday Founding Member

don't need post players? I guess you think davis and bass are gonna be around forever? gimme a break - at least bass will declare and big baby will get the NBA some serious thought as he did coming out of HS. we need post players - always.

6. gzilla

gzilla Founding Member

First, let me say that I hate Brady.

Having said that, I think Miles shares a lot of the blame here. If basketball was truly a major factor in his recruitment, it is Miles that should have laid all of the groundwork with Brady to make sure that things would go smoothly.

Miles was the one recruiting Bennett and it was his job to make sure his ducks were in a row.

It is my opinion that either:

A.) The basketball situation is not really the reason he didn't choose LSU
    or
    B.) Miles didn't know that basketball was as big a factor as it is

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well opinion A is totally off, since his own dad said on TV that basketball was a big deal as to why he didn't sign with LSU.

Secondly, Miles can't force Brady to do jack. It's up to Brady to see that a semi-talented basketball player wants to play on what amounts to a reserve-less team. At a minimum, we could have used him on our basketball team.

8. gzilla

gzilla Founding Member

I'm aware of what his father said. I'm also aware of a report that said he was picking LSU but his parents stepped in and said they didn't want him to play that far away. I'm also aware of a quote from MB saying he was going to A&M all along and that people didn't notice the A&M clothing he was wearing, etc.

The point is you never know what the real story is.

As for my second point, if Miles really wanted MB, and knew that basketball was a point of contention he should have sat down with John Brady and worked this all out before Brady met with MB.

Miles is the head football coach at LSU. You don't think that carries a little weight in the Athletic department? You don't think that Brady knows he better do what he can to not make enemies with the moneymaker?

Nick Saban worked with Brady, Henry, and Smoke in the past with more than one recruit.

Assuming that the quote from MB's father is the truth, then my guess is Miles had no idea that MB was going to make a decision that was significantly based on basketball. If that's the case, then he dropped the ball.

Again, I hate Brady. A prospect ought to be able to walk through the door and sit down with him (even if Brady has never seen him play) and not walk out of the door insulted.

Having said that, from a football recruiting standpoint of MB, Miles is more accountable.

9. Crystal Ball

Crystal Ball Freshman

A brand new coach usually won't try to throw his weight around with the other coaches if they are not interested in a certain player. Miles might not have wanted to put Brady in that kind of a spot if he (Brady) was not interested in Bennet. JMO

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Even if you are correct, it still shows Bradys flaws.
    It makes no sense to give kids scholarships that aren't ready to play in the SEC or SEC calibur when you can get a Martin Zeno or MB.
    These kids from what I have read are in a whole different league.

Do you think this LSU basketball team could've used 1 more SEC calibur player
    versus 1 or 2 players signed last year that aren't ready to play?
    Could've been the difference in winning a few more games.