Brady gets press on COY in the ham

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jeffinbama, Mar 6, 2006.

1. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

a pearl necklace

2. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

I would say that Brady deserves the award...Big time talent that is making dividends. The SEC west is going to be the LSU/BAMA show for a while. Maybe Bama and LSU can meet again...Finals??? :) Lets all hope so!

Pearl obviously can't control his players...

I'm not saying that Mark Gottfried deserves SEC COY but everyone has to recognize his coaching skills from what he has done this year. He's done an outstanding job!

3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I'm not going to disagree with you, because I really don't have much of an argument, but I think Brady has done a very good job of coaching this team. We are young... VERY young and Brady has done a helluva job utilizing what little bench we have. COY is such a subjective "award." I'd much rather win the SEC, SECT or do well in the NCAAs...

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Gottfried's out, imo. Only Pearl and Brady made the 15 finalists for the National COY award, so it would seem they would be the only two in consideration for the SEC award. Imagine not winning the SEC award, but winning the national. I think Pearl hurt himself with his late record and a player getting in trouble... Brady should be a shoo-in.

5. train

train Founding Member

You got Bruce Pearl who is a first year coach that came from a smaller program and has done a terrific job of turning around the Tenn Mens basketball program.
    You got John Brady who has three freshman and not much of a bench at all. Really in close games we only got 6 maybe seven players. With that LSU is 14-2 in the conference and the outright champs. Some people may say thats b/c of the talent on the team. Well the COACHES signed the players. We get on our coaches when we loose, so the Brady haters give the coach credit when we win
    Bruce Pearl has done a good job this year, but Brady has got my vote for coach of the YEAR.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

hard to beat what self has done (tiger fans think LSU has a young team), roy "the crying boy" williams too.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Do you mean Bill Self?... not on the list.

COY candidates (winner announced during final 4):

John Brady (LSU), Jim Calhoun(Connecticut), Jamie Dixon (Pittsburgh), Mark Few (Gonzaga), John Giannini (LaSalle), Mark Gottfried (Alabama), Karl Hobbs (George Washington), Ben Howland (UCLA), Mike Krzyzewski (Duke), Thad Matta (Ohio State), Bruce Pearl (Tennessee), John Thompson III (Georgetown), Bruce Weber (Illinois), Roy Williams (North Carolina) and Jay Wright (Villanova).

8. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Obviously, there's another thread on the topic,....

But, I'm glad that to cap off this discussion, we CAN say that the SEC coaches are men of honor and vote as they should.

Brady wins SEC COY. Depending on how the Tigers do in the tourney, can he move up in the minds of national voters?

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/2427821.html

Congrats go out also to Big Baby, D.Mitch, Tyrus Thomas and Tas.

As I predicted, ALL-SEC honors to all of them...

:geauxtige :bball: :champs:

9. TGer'nLHornLand

As expected, I was somewhat surprised at how "up in arms" some of our un-educated and bias sportswriters were about Brady's SEC COY award. The Advocate reports that writers question why Brady was voted as COY over Pearl... I think I'm inspired to send my prior analysis and arguments to these yahoos. And you wonder why they created the RPI...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/2440877.html

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL... PACK THE PMAC!!!

10. TGer'nLHornLand

In review (posted 3-2-06):

Tennessee starts or plays primarily a Jr. 6-10 center Major Wingate (top 50 high school player), 1 So. (all SEC) Chris Lofton (Kentucky Mr. Basketball, McD A-American), a Sr. in C.J. Watson (McD A-American, top 40 high school player), another Sr. in Andre Patterson (another McD A-American, transfer from UCLA, rated 16th best HS player), and Jr. Dane Bradshaw (top 100 hs player, Tennessee 2003 Mr. Basketball). They also have a full roster of players and are deep. So, they start or play predominantly 2 seniors, 2 juniors and 1 sophomore, three of them being McD A-American players, and all of whom were at least top 100 players coming out of high school. I'd ask... so, they SHOULD be good shouldn't they? All Pearl had to do was come in, pick a run and gun system, probably inspire them to actually play hard.

LSU starts 1 Sr., 1 So., and three freshmen, and backs them up with 1 jr. and 2 freshman. We have two McD. A-Americans, but the rest of the starters (Rolle was a highly ranked player) would be lucky if they were considered high school top 100 players. We've dealt with little bench, injuries to key players, and had just as tough a non-conference schedule. AND we beat Pearl by 14 points.

It's sad to say, but I have a sinking feeling that Pearl will probably win national COY due to all of the media attention, although I feel Brady should (and will) win SEC COY, because of what he's done in the SEC. ...

Now, I hope that the writers take note of this. Brady recruited unsung recruits, coached 'em up as they are young, and won the most games in the SEC, beating Pearl. Pearl took a talented team, that had not played to their potential in prior years, and just got them to play better. Pearl COY? No.