brady just doesn't get it

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by friday, Feb 26, 2004.

1. friday

friday Founding Member

first, before you brady-lovers come out and accuse me of brady-bashing, lemme say that I think brady is a good teacher of the game and usually has his players preapred physically. but, oh, is he awful when it comes to manging the psyche of his players...and yes, I realize the tigers are hurting right now. take a look at these quotes and if you think these are good for the team, you're nuts:

after the ark game before fla:
    brady said something to the effect (don't have the exact quote) that LSU deserves to be in the top 25 and shortly thereafter the rest of the team was spouting off this nonsense.

before the vandy game:
    "It's going to be hard to reload our team the way it should reload in order to play at Vanderbilt," Brady said. "We'll just have to see.

before the miss st. (this one I love):
    "I don't know how we'll play against Mississippi State, but we'll be better Sunday," Brady said.

after the miss st game:
    "We'd like four, of course, but two for sure at least," Brady said.
    "The best-case scenario for us is a minimum of one win. Two more wins before the SEC Tournament would solidify it. One (win) and we might have to win a first-round game."

With a team that's playing badly, he continues to harp on the things he can't control, injuries, pools, rpi, etc. he has instilled a defeatist attitude in these kids. instead of saying that we'll go to war with what we got and give it our best, he basically gives up the chances of winning with that lame attitide... brady would do well to meet with mr. saban and learn a little about clutter 101. remember, these are young kids playing the game, not professionals who can turn it on at any time. the coach is integral to managing the psychology of the players and brady must of failed that easy A.

2. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

remember that Brady is a Joe Dean hire, and that Emmert and Bertman will find a much better replacement if it comes to it. If we one and done for the tournament, then we should consider that this team has plateaued, and is not going anywhere.

Next years recruiting class is suspect at best. I mean what if davis is not eligible to play, then we are really screwed....

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I agree with you......

My grandmother has lived in Hammond and Baton Rouge her whole life and told me many years ago that LSU football wouldn't
    be any good until Joe Dean left.

She understood the politics game inside the university...

4. LSU713

LSU713 Freshman

he has instilled a defeatist attitude in these kids. instead of saying that we'll go to war with what we got and give it our best, he basically gives up the chances of winning with that lame attitide...

This is 100% factual and well said. He seems like he loads up his excuses before the game, and he always seems to have a chip on his shoulder. Of course, the apathy related to LSU basketball has a lot to do with the results, but I think it's even more compounded by the fact that people don't care for him personally. He just always seems arrogant and defensive, and I really am tired of his excuses after every game. Like I've said before, I don't think a move should be made this year, but if we don't see a big improvement next year (esp. with this Freshman class), start lining up the candidates.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i agree. he deserves at least that much. plus he has been able to develop players in the past--stro, jabari, dupree.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

The thing that you are overlooking is that most of these quotes come from a reporter asking a question. It's not Brady just up there waxing poetic about all things LSU basketball. Maybe he should be a little more bold or give the Saban token line of 'the next game is the most important' but he's most likely responding to a question with an answer. I'll provide sample questions that good very easily lead to Brady's response.

Reporter: Coach Brady, your team has won 4 straight SEC games and is 6-3 in the league. Do you feel like your team should be ranked in the top 25?

after the ark game before fla:
    brady said something to the effect (don't have the exact quote) that LSU deserves to be in the top 25 and shortly thereafter the rest of the team was spouting off this nonsense.

Reporter: You're going to be missing 2 starters and will only have 7 players that will be playing significant minutes. Do you think that your team will still play at full strength?

before the vandy game:
    "It's going to be hard to reload our team the way it should reload in order to play at Vanderbilt," Brady said. "We'll just have to see.

Reporter: Your best player hasn't practiced in a week and your going onto the road to play the #5 ranked team. Tell me how the team will play in it's next 2 games.

before the miss st. (this one I love):
    "I don't know how we'll play against Mississippi State, but we'll be better Sunday," Brady said.

Reporter: Give us possible some scenarios about LSU's chances of making the NCAA tournament.

after the miss st game:
    "We'd like four, of course, but two for sure at least," Brady said.
    "The best-case scenario for us is a minimum of one win. Two more wins before the SEC Tournament would solidify it. One (win) and we might have to win a first-round game."

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I'm not trying to bash Brady here, I've taken up for him before.
    I hope he can right the ship before it sinks...

Sometimes coaches win despite of themselves..........

Like Dinardo's 1st couple of years

I think he deserves 1 more year but I think its not going to be any
    different next year!

Everyone says we're too young?

Whatever happened to Antonio Hudson SEC tourney MVP?

I'm starting to think Brady doesn't know how to put players in a
    position to succeed.

You gotta know how to recruit also....

Some of his recruits lately appear to be busts...
    Johnson from last year and that kid from Utah this year...

Kinda like the difference between Nick Saban and the rent a coaches we use to have around here....

8. friday

friday Founding Member

sdough

I agree, one more year. if brady doesn't produce next year we can finally stop looking at those silly polo shirts he wears 24-7. hey, I hope he proves me wrong and turns this thing around this year.

mike d -
    I realize that these are usually responses to reporters questions. however, there's a way to finese those questions into positives a la saban. don't give in to a reporter's queries 'cause you know what the media wants to hear. I just don't buy that and for every question of yours, I would have responded differntly. but maybe we're hearing the "new' brady trying to be more media friendly. well, it's affecting your team, john.

9. alaman

alaman Founding Member

Stro did not improve under Brady, he simply got to play and practice a whole year. Dupree did not improve. Bright went backwards. In summary, Joe Dean's college roommate needs to be fired now. He has had enought time to prove he is a loser and another year will only magnify that.

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Dupree did not improve?!?! So I guess he was NBA ready from the moment he got to LSU from high school. And Brady was just too stubborn to play the NBA ready Dupree his freshman year instead opting to keep him on the bench and let more experienced players, although not NBA ready like Dupree, have the majority of the playing time.

friday, some of the hypothetical questions posed by me might have been over the top but it's not like the players were huddled around Brady as he was talking to the reporters. Some of them might read the articles in the papers but I don't think that would have much impact on them. The players know that Brady wants to win each and every game but sometimes being realistic isn't that bad. He knows that 1 or 2 more wins will most likely get them into the tourney. The players also know this so it's not a huge secret that needs to be kept hush-hush.