Brady

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Apr 8, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I know that there has been NUMEROUS threads about Brady and all of our opinions on whether or not he should stay or leave, so I won't get into that aspect--at least not directly.

But with Neltner's decision to transfer, and his comments reguarding his decision, it makes me wonder if Brady has been "promising the world" to a lot of our recruits, and then not coming close to fullfilling his promise.

You know, coaches (specifically Les Miles) talk about their efforts in recruiting, and explain that the best way to be successful (both in the long and short end) is to be up front and honest--players respond and respect that a lot more than you lying to them and them finding out AFTER they're already here that they aren't going to get what was promised.

I can't help but think that perhaps it's not so coincidental any more with Brady losing players via transferring, yet he continues to land some rather promising recruits every recruiting season.

Having seen these things unfold and happen yet again, I'm under the impression that he's offering/promising these players too much, only to never come through with his promises once they get on campus.

Now, this isn't a sure-fire analogy, but it's one that doesn't seem too far-fetched, and I'm starting to believe that this is what's going on.

Why else would a player like Neltner, who after the season ended, Brady told him depending on what Bass decided to do, should he (Bass) leave, Neltner would be in line to start next season--all for a team that SI has ranked in their VERY EARLY Pre-Season look-ahead to '05-'06, in the top-10.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

OK, I see a guy like Netnor being recruited by Brady, he's coming in with 2 or 3 other super recruits, guys who have a lot of fanfare, much more than he does. On top of this he is the Kentucky "Mr Basketball" but isn't being recruited by any of the big schools in his area including UK.

First I do not think a coach would promise him a certain amount of playing time, like you would a Davis or Mitchell, knowing he had a better player or three coming in with him in that class. Second, I think this guy has to have the ability to look at that class and know he is going to have to work very hard and improve a tremendous amount to get time on the floor.

3. cajdav1

I think to not put any blame on Brady(mostly by himself and Skip as our opinion doesn't really matter) for the amount of transfers would be foolish, especially since he admittedly has had to change his ways. But I also don't think we can sit at our keyboard and blame him on each individual without knowing all of the facts. The bottom line is Brady has the responsibilty for the overall status of the program as he is the top guy and hopefully he tries to take a step back and learn from these things. Whether it is to recruit defferently, coach differently, handle tham better, etc., since he is the one who's shoulders this all lands on he better be. Especially with the new graduation percentages in place permanently.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

This is something I've never said before, but it's worthy of consideration. I think Brady is an a-hole as a coach. I have been told by a member of the team on several occasions that Brady works them to the bone on a daily basis. Some of these kids crack. I wonder if Brady needs to seek out more players who fit his style and tough approach.

Bobby Knight doesn't have to look for "his" type of players because they come to him. Kids who can deal with the pressure and the work load are hard to find and hard to isolate during short recruiting visits, but they are out there and it can be done. I just don't think Brady has been overly successful to the point where he can pick and choose - when talent shows interest, he has to jump. Will he ever reach the point where he can hand select "his" type players? I don't know - maybe he should already be at that point. All I know is that the kids who have bought into Brady and his style have been absolute delights...

5. friday

friday Founding Member

when brady establishes a successful track record like knight, he may be able to attract his type of players that will want to stay 4 years at LSU. look at TT this year. that moderately talented team was picked to finish in the lower half of their division of the Big 12. However, the players bought into knight's system and accepted their roles, whether it be as a starter or bench player. brady has yet to garner the respect from players to accept roles that they may not think are overly popular, esp if they were the top dog in high school. IMO, this is a major flaw of john brady and I am highly doubtful that brady has the wherewithall to accomplish that. just look at the championship team - UNC. their 6th man, marvin williams will likely be either the first or second player picked in the draft. roy williams got the kid to buy into his philosophy that the TEAM would be better off with williams coming off the bench. the kid accepted it and now he's got a ring. that's what makes a good coach - the ability to communicate the team concept to these young kids. some have it, some don't. unfortunately, brady fits into the latter.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

That's interesting. If this is true, I wonder why a coach would work everyone to the bone if he's only going to go with 7 guys during a game?? Is our bench depth THAT weak that he's trying to send a message?

7. BB

BB Founding Member

In order to really work those 7 kids, you have to work the entire team in preparing game plans, implementing strategies, and conditioning. If they scrimmage for 25 minutes at an excruciating tempo, it's important to have 10 kids getting up and down the floor.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Not to mention if 1 of the 7 gets hurt then you have to depend on some if not
    all of those 8 through 10 kids coming off the bench.

Your top 7 players could get hurt, drop out the next semester because of grades?
    Alot of things can happen to that top 7 and before you know it you have to
    depend on the 8 through 10 kids, something you may not have planned on.
    This is where being a good coach would make all the difference.

9. cajdav1

After reading this I think I would have to call Neltnor a quitter

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/11340816.htm

This bothers me, the guy is a quitter.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

wtf? brady told him he would probably start, and he bolts? How is our offense not an inside-outside offense?