Bradyball was ridiculous friday night

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by -T-, Nov 24, 2002.

1. -T-

-T- Founding Member

up by 40 with under 3:00 to go Dupree and Hudson are still rotating in the game and we are pressing. All of this with an LSU legend on the other bench. The tigers are not very disciplined in the way they play either.

2. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

LSU shot 50% from the field and 60% in the 2nd half (per LSUSPORTS.NET)...that doesnt sound too bad.

LSU - 2-0 its a start

also from lsusports.net

LSU held USA to 22-of-58 shooting for 37.9 percent and outrebounded the Jaguars, 43-30

doesnt sound as bad as youre making it out to be

3. roygu

roygu Founding Member

One man can only play so long

I sure don't remember your concern for Brady's team the last couple of years when they were short handed. I'm willing to wait until they play Arizona before I make any judgement on this team.
    I noticed several rated teams that struggled, over the weekend, vs un ranked teams. Cinncinatti only beat Tennessee Tech by six points Saturday.

4. -T-

-T- Founding Member

you still don't press with your good players in that late in the game.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Sometimes your best practices are against opponents other than yourselves.
    I wasn't around Tigerforums last year. Never realized there was so much anti-Brady sentiment around. Dale Brown is the one who ran the program into the ground and Johnny Jones is the one who nearly got us electrocuted. Brady IMHO has done a hell of a job.

6. roygu

roygu Founding Member

What does the identity of the opposing coach

have to do with how the game is played? If Brady sees a need to improve a part of this team why should he care who the opposing Coach is. I have always enjoyed Ricky Blanton's play as a tiger and wish him success as a coach. If he is successful maybe he could coach at LSU one day. However, he knew who he would be playing when he accepted the bid to the tournament.
    How many teams gave LSU a break when we were short players the last five years?

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I agree with SabanFan but...

Brady better produce soon or he'll be run out. I'm all for Brady and hope he does well, it seems like he's done a good job with what he's had to date. However, now his lineup is deep and talented so they need to make the dance. This next year (or two) will determine Brady's long term future at LSU.

Seems like I remember South Alabama making the tourney a couple of time recently. I don't quite buy this "the sky is falling" sentiment from "Tuwho?" If you can win with poor shooting (looking at the stats mentioned), that's a sign of good coaching. I'm hoping the coaching will help some of these guys play better together. You can't expect a team with so many new guys to gell this early. After reading that post again, I'll stop here. It looks like there is an overall "whine" attitude rather than specific points of concern.

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, USA isnt so bad. I live in Mobile, so I hear a lot about them. They did make the dance a couple of years ago, and are generally favored to win the Sun Belt year in and year out. This year has been billed a "breakout" year for them. I like Brady and always have. We need to give him a fair shot before passing judgement. However, I dont like losing anymore than the next guy. If he cant get the job done, we need someone else, but we have to give him a shot first.

9. -T-

-T- Founding Member

this is not football. Football only has one or two cupcake teams to let players get game experince. Its ok to work with your good players the whole game. Basketball has at least 15 practice games. The LSU players didn't gain anything by pressing late in the game. If you didn't go to the game friday, then there is no need to give your opinions on the game.

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Fifteen practice games???

-T-, I don't know if you realized it but the next team we play is Texas A&M. Any team from the Big 12, widely regarded as the best conference this year, will play a tough game. They are far from a cupcake! If Brady is planning on using the press this year, why not have them press a team for 40 minutes to give them experience playing tired?

As far as the USA's best player being tired. Give me a break. He only played 31 minutes in the game. Torris played 36. Last year there were several Tigers averaging 35+ minutes a game. Maybe he was tired from the pressing defense that the Tigers employed(after practicing it for 40 minutes against Nicholls).

And attendance, everybody knows that S. LA is home to fairweather bandwagon fans that only come out for a winning team. They don't care if the coach is a nice guy. Three years ago the PMAC was packed when LSU went 28-4. Students were waiting outside for 2-3 hours to get inside to get a good seat. This was around the same time that Dinardo was getting fired and the football stadium, that is now always sold out for a winning team, was half empty for the Arkansas game.