Brady's Comments in the Advocate

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by friday, Jan 26, 2005.

1. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

Yeah- I hope Arkansas doesn't get too fired up and beat us next time-- might hurt our seeding in the NIT.

2. jwb0581

jwb0581 Founding Member

Maybe I am missing something but I have noticed that quite a few Tiger fans think we won because of a bad call. How was the call bad? The head official signaled a 2 on the floor, and the other official raised one hand to alert the scorekeeper to stop the clock - nobody, I repeat NOBODY - signaled a 3 on the floor. A 3 was erroneously awarded by the scoreboard operator because he mistakenly thought the official who raised one hand was signaling a 3 when in fact he was not.

The officials then reviewed the play, which (as anyone who saw the replay on TV or was at the game) was inconclusive. You could not tell with any certainty whether the tip of his shoe was on the line or just barely behind it. And when it's inconclusive, you have to stick with the call on the floor.

And besides, was it not a bad call when the officials missed the travel on the floor?

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i agree. doesnt sound like a bad call. maybe not correct (sounds like only God knows) but not a BAD call.

heath is a whinner, so i dont have a problem with brady saying something when asked

most posters are just ready to jump on anything brady does.

4. jwb0581

jwb0581 Founding Member

Right on.

But, technically, the "correct" call would be a travel.

5. friday

friday Founding Member

the entire point of my post was to question brady's interpersonal skills as it relates to running a basketball program. this is not about whining, it all gets back to whether this man is cut out to be the coach of LSU's basketball team. many times coaches will do things in order to motivate their teams, whether it be a situational technical foul or perhaps berating an official after a bad call. here, we have a game that obviously was controversial and LSU ended up with a W. continuing to belabor the point and disrespect the opposing coach can do nothing positive for this team. I disagree, this is more than whining about nothing.

as far as your stan heath comments, I understand your point about brady taking up for the team - I think its valid to an extent. but I also think it can be detrimental. let's go back to early October when LSU lost a football game to Auburn on a controversial call. obviously, we heard a lot from saban beacuse he was the coach of the team that lost and apparently there was a rules discrepancy. tubberville, for the most part, kept his mouth shut because his team won. this an example of keeping your team focused on themselves, not things that they have no control over. remember saban and his "useless clutter" sayings? this is more about the big picture of LSU BB, the overall health of this program, not a rant by the head coach. brady should have just kept his mouth shut and worry about preparing his team for Ole Miss.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

maybe he should have not said anything. perhaps you are right but its just not that big of a deal.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

brady's claim is that the guy was travelling. how can you tell that from pics? you need moving pictures to see that. so actually it was a (non)call in arkansas favor, as it should have been zero points.

stop saying that.

8. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Brady made those remarks in answer to a question on his radio show. I suppose the reporter used them in his article. Most of the reports on the bulletin boards had indicated that one ref had signalled a two and the other had signalled a three, which was not the case. However, Brady was pointing out that the scorekeeper had made the error which led to the confusion. The refs were just trying to be sure the call was the correct call.

9. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I do not see where he said anything that would bring his "interpersonal skills" into question.

10. PlaneauxTiger

PlaneauxTiger Founding Member

I didn't hear his comments so I don't know how they were delivered, but just reading the quotes I think what he said lacked class. Saying the other coach thought he "got the shaft" then referring to him as the guy from Arkansas...I dunno. It just seems he lacks sophistication and polish.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Saban. He won and lost with class.