Brady's Comments in the Advocate

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by friday, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Bottom line to any 3 pt shot is where is the player's foot/feet as the ball leaves the shooter's hand.

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

He was in the air...no line floating around for his foot to be behind. If he begins his shot with his foot on the line then does a fade away while in the air and is technically behind the line once in the air as the ball leaves his hand is a three then? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

First, think of this. If it is humanly possible, a player takes off well behind the 3pt line and dunks it...is it a 2 or a 3?

4. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

I'm coming up with all sort of scenarios. Let me really think about this.

Here's what the NBA rules say. Trying to get the NCAA.

Section I-Scoring
    a. A legal field goal or free throw attempt shall be scored when a live ball from the playing area enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through the net.
    b. A successful field goal attempt from the area on or inside the three-point field goal line shall count two points.
    c. A successful field goal attempt from the area outside the three-point field goal line shall count three points.
    (1) The shooter must have at least one foot on the floor outside the three-point field goal line prior to the attempt.
    (2) The shooter may not be touching the floor on or inside the three-point field goal line.
    (3) The shooter may contact the three-point field goal line, or land in the two-point field goal area, after the ball is released

5. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

I think I should have first said, it's where the player's feet leave the floor, no matter where the ball is shot from.

1. If a player's feet are inside the 3 pt line and hits a fade away well behind the 3 pt line, it's a 2.

2. If a player has their foot/feet are on the line it's a 2.

2. If a player's feet are outside the 3pt line and takes a jump shot and lands inside the 3pt line, it's a 3.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

its a 3.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

wrong, because often jump shots mean the player is in the air. what matters is where their feet were before they jumped.

8. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

That's what I corrected myself with, 3 posts up (1:30pm)

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

my mistake.

10. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I saw Shaq leave the floor from halfway in the arc, leap over a Northeast LA defender and dunk it. If it is possible I think he could...

Reaction of said defender... :sob: