Brady's offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Randy70, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

I don't know what sucks worst. Brady's offense or the way the LSU players are executing that offense. It seems to be a mighty struggle every time down the floor for the Tigers to even get a decent shot off. I bet if someone would go back over the tape of today's game (UK), the Tigers had more turnovers than good shots at the goal. The players seem like they are giving good effort. That's why I think Brady should come up with an offensive plan that better suits the players he has now. There is a lot more fire power on this team than what we are seeing.

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Let's see here. 17 turnovers and 20 shots made with many other good shots missed. Meanwhile soon to be #2 ranked Kentucky had 16 turnovers and 22 made shots with some good shots missed. LSU had 8 steals, UK had 8 also. LSU was 6-19 from 3 pt range, UK was 6-20. The only major difference was LSU got outrebounded 43-29. Clearly Kentucky has a superiorly designed offensive plan.

Trying to equate turnovers to a poorly designed offense is worthless because the turnovers had nothing to do with the offensive set. Throwing a pass at someone's foot, dribbling the ball off one's foot or bobbling the ball is not a derivation of a bad offense.

Poor execution, yes. Bad offense design, not really.

3. roygu

roygu Founding Member

LSU has no one on the team who can beat a defender of the dribble and score. They don't have anyone who can consistantly score off the dribble. They have to be squared up when they get the ball, it seems, to have a chance at a basket.
    None of the guards seem to be able to drive inside, such as Bogans, then either shoot of make a good pass on tartget to permit the pass receiver to get off a decent shot.
    From what I have seen lately, Hudson seems to be the only guy with enough body contol and court awareness to drive inside without charging, and have a legitimate chance at a basket.
    Kentucky is a team with tremendous athletes who are playing team ball. Frankly I was surprised at how well Brady had them prepared to defend Kentucky. Kentucky has been embarrassing the other top teams in the conferene, in Rupp, lately. I think I heaard the announcers say that the Wildcats had Florida and Georgia down by twenty points at the half.

4. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

Hey MikeD. How many of those 20 made shots were off of rebounds from bad shots, steals, or fast breaks. 17 turnovers. I still think that the Tigers didn't get 17 good shots off of their set offense.

5. -T-

-T- Founding Member

If you actualy watch an LSU basketball game and look for their offense, you will never see it. Turnovers do relate to the offense. LSU dribbles around the perimeter and usually throws up a shot, makes a bad pass, or loses the dribble. This is not my opinion. This is what happens. If someone ever tries to set a pick, forget it. They will come within 2 ft of the defender and back off. The LSU turnovers come by too much dribbling and then forcing a pass. Basically they play glorified streetball.

Just watch for this stuff and you will see. After a while you even noticed Torris making jump passes after dribbling for 15 sec. going nowhere.

If LSU would have blocked out at all today, they would have had a great shot at winning. They were simply out-hustled on the boards. Bogans coming completely acroos court past Torris to get a rebound then hitting a 3 is a perfect example.

Blocking out is coaching. Setting good picks is coaching.

Its good to see Lloreda getting physical again though. He played real well.

6. Ryan

Ryan Founding Member

Kentucky is just a phenomenal team this year. Great athletes who understand the concept of working as a team to cause chaos defensively. As for LSU, they don't have an accelerator. Darrell Mitchell will eventually learn to be one. I mean someone who can take over in spurts off pure speed, like a Stephon Marbury, Allen Iverson or even a Jason Gardner. And hopefully Minor will be one from the get geaux.

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

But you also have to count open shots that were missed. Just because a shot is missed doesn't mean that it was a bad shot.

As far as Darrell Mitchell is concerned, it seems like he is a little out of control when he drives into the lane. He can get by the 1st guy but he can't jump over the help anymore now that he's in college. Maybe he can learn to draw the defenders and then dish it to a big man. And hopefully the big men can learn to catch the ball.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Which big man should he dish it to? Shaq is with the Lakers now and we haven't had a real Big Man since he left

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

To be a big man in college you don't have to be 7'. Anything over 6'8" is big for the college game in my book.

Jaime played pretty big Saturday and he is a great finisher around the goal. He shot like 8-12 against some solid big men from UK.

Not too sure about Brad's hands on close range passes but if he knows it's coming to him he should be able to corral most of the passes.