Brandon Bass's new wheels

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

The Lease and the Loan has been around for a while. many of the leasing go to the parents; however, the loans are to the players. Strickly business. If a player doesn't make it to the next level, the bank loses. Each year a player is evaluated for loan value. Payment comes due with the contract signing with the Pro team. Brian Jones, Ex Saint LB, told us about the loans he received when he was at Texas.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I totally understand that the bank is evaluating the players potential value and based on the risk they decide what to loan. I guess it is all subjective in what would be considered taking advantage of one's fame. I know several of the football players at LSU have parents who are doctors and it wouldn't surprising to see them driving something like a Caddy or a sports car. But if there was a guy that grew up in the Desire Projects in New Orleans and is driving an Escalade around....something is fishy.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

It doesn't matter whether the loan between the dealer and athlete is valid or not. The NCAA has demonstrated it all depends on the situation, and whether or not they want to pursue it.

Cases in point- Travis Carroll defaulted on a car loan but the NCAA viewed it as an extra benefit even though the dealer took the appropriate actions in trying to recover the property. That car, had over 130,000 miles on it but it was still considered an extra benefit.

Secondly, look at the way the Tee Martin case was handled by the NCAA.

I'd cross my fingers and hope for the best. Right now, it's a guessing game as to what the NCAA might come up with.

On a seperate note, is that our Auburn resident Chuck in that first picture? ;)

4. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

How big is a loan on a car with 130,000 miles on it?:D Would a bank try to repo it?