Brandon Jacobs leaving Auburn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Feb 20, 2004.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nick recruited Jacobs as a defensive end. He stated that he thought Jacobs was the prototype NFL Defensive end. Jacobs basically decommitted from LSU and chose Auburn because The Tube offered him "a shot" at running back. Nick had advised him that his future was at DE and reminded him that NFL running backs make $1 million while DE's make $3 million.

But the kid dreamed of playing RB and went to Auburn for his "shot". He got a shot alright, at 4th-string running back with an opportunity to be 3rd string this year. I think Auburn tried him at RB but always intended to make a lineman out of him.

While fast for a big guy, he did not show running back speed at Auburn, despite his billing, and is likely to lose more speed as he enters his twenties and bulks up for the NFL. I hoped he had learned something last year and would move to TE, OLB, or DE where he would be a star and an NFL candidate.

Instead it looks like he will be a big, slow DIvision I-AA running back with a long shot at the NFL. He should have listened to Nick and he would be starting at DE this year at LSU with bright propects as a well-paid NFL defensive end.

Moral for recruits: Listen to Nick.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I didn't remember Nick recruiting him, I don't claim to be perfect so
    I guess your right about everything including this basketball
    situation....

Are you happy now?

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Since when did LSU basketball have anything to do with LSU football recruiting?

Sorry you didn't remember Jacobs being recruited...No big deal. I figured you had kept up with it...which is why my shock, and response, reflected that...

BTW-I'd be happy if everyone thought like I did...for about 10 seconds...With no one to butt heads with, disagree with, and to eloquently and consistently respond in opposition to, this place, and my time spent here, would be SERIOUSLY boring...

Don't lie...I've never kept you from commenting on a subject, and if anything, made you post something...

4. LSUfan636

LSUfan636 Founding Member

HAHAHA......Auburn is going DOWN the drain!!!

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Well, I don't know about running the table, especially with LSU and UGA on the sched. But the Jacobs matter was bound to happen. The kid was given his shot, and he is definitely a talented RB, but he knew full well what he was walking into when he committed. Cadillac is significantly better, as is Ronnie Brown.

It should be the kindest compliment of all to Caddy and Ronnie, that a guy like BJ couldn't compete for serious starting time. JMHO, but the reason BJ didn't get more PT was because the kid's blocking fundamentals are weaker, and he doesn't appear to be motivated to step up and learn how. Additionally, with Carl Stewart and Brad Lester inbound, BJ could kiss any PT goodbye unless he changed positions. He would've been 4th or 5th on the RB depth chart come September.

The AU staff indeed tried to get Jacobs to change positions, but only after he was provided an evaluation by several NFL scouts that indicated he would be better suited at DE or TE.

And you're absolutely correct about Auburn's O-line.

7. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

i cant come out and say this for certain, but i bet his attitude had a lot to do with his little playing time.

he released several public complaints about playing time over the season....including the infamous "if i were me" statement.

the guy has all the physical potential in the world. we all knew of his slow mental problems. i guess lazyness sometimes follows.

he knew what he was getting into when he signed with auburn. he knew that Williams was a first round TB and that Ronnie Brown wasnt too far behind. there is NOTHING wrong with jumping into competition like that. however, if youre willing to jump in.....then you also need to step up to the plate.

he *could* have come to LSU, redshirted this past season, and started at Hill's spot for the next two seasons.

with his size, speed, and strength....you just cant help but to think that he would have been a very good DE.

oh well...

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Jacobs is stupid, Saban told him to come to LSU and play D.E. or LB, that he wouldn't be in the mix at RB. Tuberville told him he would get a chance to compete at RB, so he went there. If he had any brains at all and just had to play RB he should have picked a team like Moo U or even Ole Piss, not a team with 2 All SEC RB's who both had 2 years left.

9. zgarner

zgarner Freshman

What is this talk about Brandon Jacobs not being a quality player? I have had classes with him and he is a man of character and quality and he is not stupid either cajdav1. Brandon just has his mind made up about playing RB. I think he will end up in the NFL one day even if he transfers to a small school. He came to Auburn and had to compete with guys like Ronny and Caddy and he didnt get much playing time. Dont say someone is not a quality person when you know nothing about him except that he wanted to come to AU instead of LSabanU.

10. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

zgarner,

I don't think cajdav1 was referring to Jacobs being stupid as in "book stupid" or not a quality person......It was more like a "stupid decision" made by Jacobs. We all know the young talent AU had a tailback at the beginning of last year....if Jacobs wanted to play immediately he should have gone somewhere else like Moo U or Ole Miss (like cajdav1 said).....and don't give me the "he was loyal to AU and wanted to play for AU" story, because that is irrelevant now!!

also, welcome to the board.....glad you found us!!!!!