Brandon Jacobs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by emac, Feb 8, 2004.

1. emac

emac Freshman

You know, I really questioned his decision to attend Auburn then and I'm not just saying it because of this article. WHat was he thinking????

» More From Today's Mobile Register

Auburn Football

Jacobs moves to tight end

After brief stint at linebacker, former running back makes move to his third position for shot at next level

02/07/04

By BRENT SCHROTENBOER
    Sports Reporter

As the Auburn football team continued its search for a new offensive coordinator, head coach Tommy Tuberville has added a new weapon to go with his new coach and new offensive system.

From Our Advertiser

Brandon Jacobs, Auburn's second-leading rusher last season with 446 yards, will move to tight end for spring practice, starting Feb. 29. After his practice run at linebacker in December, the move is designed to maximize his physical tools as he prepares to market himself for the NFL in 2005.

"He's just looking for a place to play," Tuberville said. "We weren't going to leave him at running back with Ronnie (Brown) and Carnell (Williams). He wants to get on the field, and the NFL people are telling him he needs to play a position he can play in the NFL."

Two positions mentioned by NFL talent evaluators were tight end and defensive end.

Jacobs, a senior-to-be, now will compete for time at tight end with returning junior Cooper Wallace and returning sophomore Cole Bennett. If he had moved back to running back, he would have had to compete with more of the same logjam as last year: starters Williams and Brown, along with backups Tre Smith, Carl Stewart, freshman Brad Lester and freshman Jerald Watson.

Though he was once considered a blue-chip running back prospect, the 6-foot-4 Jacobs moved to linebacker in December to find more playing time. He grew frustrated at that position early on but will now work to learn a new role in time to finish his Auburn tenure productively.

Jacobs could not be reached for comment Friday.

He'll learn his new position under a new offensive coordinator, possibly Rob Spence, who spent more time in Auburn Friday morning before returning home to Toledo. Spence, Toledo's offensive coordinator, has interviewed for the job vacated by Hugh Nall, who remains as Auburn's offensive line coach.

2. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

I watched this guy during the Auburn vs Vandy game and the first thing I said was " yeah he is big but looks very slow". He would be a great FB so why dont they put him there? He would be a great FB at the next Level and could be a top 3 round draft pick but if he goes to DE or TE it would be atleast the second day of the draft maybe if his name was called. I consider Spears much more of a talent then Jacobs and it took Spears 3 years to be a force at DE or maybe I should say it took him a few years to learn the position.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Jacobs never had the speed to play running back at 275 pounds. Nick recruited him at at DE, stating that he thought Jacobs was the prototype NFL defensive end. Auburn gave him a shot at RB be he ended up wasting a year of eligibility as a reserve.

I think he's too slow for a 275 pound TE, too.

4. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

do yall remember all the hype he had before this season......he was advertised by Auburn fans to be a monster at 275lbs and could run a 4.4, 40..............boy were they way off.....from what I have seen I bet he runs a 4.7 at best!!!

5. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

That was not the only thing they were off on. I think I remember something about NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, PRESEASON # 1 man were they on another planet.

I am just glad I spent a little time in the state of Alabama so I could see them implode in person.

6. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

me too, I live here and it was awesome watching them fall apart and start pointing fingers!!

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Yeah, it was pretty funny watching the villians not get a TD until their third game against Vandy after all the hype. Now CFN has them preseason ranked 8th for this year. The higher the better for them. They do have a favorable schedule this year though. I predict another self implosion and Tubs to be fired by mid season and villian football in shambles for a few years to come.:D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: