Break down of BCS poll

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TenTexLA, Oct 14, 2007.

1. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=726527

I found this break down of how the BCS formula comes up with the rankings for this week. It comes through loud and clear how strong a schedule LSU has and how it helps them compared to Ohio state, etc. USC drops miserably because of their play against weak teams even though they have one loss. They are toast!

2. mauitiger

mauitiger Founding Member

Good post TenTex:thumb: These are my favorite parts of the article

"USC doesn't get much love from the computers. The Trojans are unranked by three of the six, ranked 25th by one, 18th by one and eighth by one."

"The computers have SEC teams second (LSU), third (South Carolina, which is sixth overall) and fourth (Kentucky, seventh overall). In all, there are seven SEC teams in the BCS top 25, with Florida 15th, Auburn 17th, Georgia 20th and Tennessee 21st. There are three from the ACC, three from the Big East, two from the Big Ten, five from the Big 12, four from the Pac-10 and one from the WAC"

3. tigerdro

tigerdro GEAUX TIGERS!

7 > 4 = SEC > PAC10 = we knew that before the BCS ;)

those are definitely numbers i even more definitely like. i was just looking at that same exact thing. it intrigues me at the difference between the 2 human polls and the computers and how the mix changes things.

4. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

Here's some further analysis from ESPN and The Advocate. The computers rank us for who we really are based on strength of schedule. Teams like Oklahoma are hurt because of a weaker schedule. The computers leave out the emotions that the human polls bring in. We are the best one loss team after losing to a one loss Kentucky team. That is why I'm pulling for Kentucky to win the East. If we win the West then we get to play them again highly ranked would should take care of any issues we need to put us in the BCSNC. Florida with 3 losses will be the highest ranked team in the country with of 3 loss teams. We are in great shape!

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/10541162.html

5. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

6. Carface

Carface What the...?

That just goes to show that the easiest road is not always the best. LSU has taken on the tough road, and this is where it pays off. Keep in mind that the tigers lost to a RANKED team, a luxury that both USC and Oklahoma did not have. The fact that LSU is still ranked so high is a testament to how strong the team really is against tough opponents. Thankfully our schedule has given us a coushion to fall back on.

The Kentucky loss will make LSU more focused the same way the Florida loss in 2003 did.

7. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

My take on it... first, I'm now officially over my "funk" from the loss. Here's why:

1) It's simple enough - if LSU beats Auburn and the other teams remaining, they go to the SECCG.

2) If LSU wins the SECCG (hopefully against Kentucky, since we've already beaten South Carolina and Florida), LSU will almost assuredly play for the national championship. We would likely be #1 in the computer polls, and at least #3 or #4 in the human polls that count. It'll help, but may not even be necessary, for 2 of the 3 teams ahead of us to suffer a loss. Ohio State's best chance of a loss is probably Michigan, Boston College plays Virginia Tech in 10 days (they have a bye week this week) that could knock them out (and if not, Florida State or Miami could actually play up to their potential for a game and do us a favor), and South Florida will probably slip up against Rutgers, Connecticut, Cincinnati, or Louisville.

The only part that LSU can control, of course, is winning their games. Auburn traditionally plays LSU tough, and Auburn has a knack for beating top 5 teams, and Auburn has a pretty good record on the road. LSU gets a much-needed bye week after the Auburn game, so hopefully they go balls-out this week and kick Auburn's ass!

2 people like this.
  8. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

Good post! :thumb:

I'm over the UK loss as well, it is time to move on. I like VT's chances against BC. VT has one of the top coaching staffs in the country. The LSU game has served them well. They will be sky high for the opportunity to knock BC out of the top ten with a home game. And I would not count VT out, their schedule favors them winning out. You never know, we might see them again, stranger things have happened.

9. Six3

Six3 Founding Member

collegefootballnews still has LSU making the BCS National Championship game vs Ohio St

Whats funny is the bowl they have USC projected to make:
    Brut Sun Bowl
    Dec. 31 / 2 p.m. El Paso, Texas CBS
    Tie-Ins: Big 12/Big East/Notre

==================================================

BCS BREAKDOWN FOR LSU

4. LSU Score: 0.[SIZE=-1]8400[/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]LSU couldn't ask for more of a break after a loss. In this improbable season, there are plenty of upsets still out there to be had. In a perfect position to keep on moving up, the humans are likely to make it happen for the Tigers if they end up winning out and winning the SEC title. However, the one down side is the schedule that looks good on paper, but might not be tougher than Boston College's. The computers like the big, impressive wins.
    predicted wins: Auburn, at Alabama, Louisiana Tech, at Ole Miss, Arkansas, SEC Championship
    predicted losses: None
    predicted record: 12-1
    predicted bowl: BCS Championship
    toughest test: Auburn (if not the SEC Championship)
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

once again the human polls suck. doesnt look like much but having OU over lsu could screw lsu. no way they should be above lsu. ou lost to unranked colorado and have beaten two traditional powers with average teams.

seems like the polls fell back to the old system of recent losses hurt the most.