(Breaking, sorta) Georgia Starting RB Kregg Lumpkin goes down, knee injury on Mon.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Aug 10, 2004.

1. BufordDAWG

BufordDAWG Founding Member

:rofl: Didn't Allbarn lose to Georgia Tech last year?

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Lumpkin, Brown, Ware, and so on....you do lack of our recruiting class knowledge :wink:

3. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Man, that just stings.

Good one, SLink. :thumb:

4. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

Interesting take, but I disagree. UF lost almost all of their defense, so how well they do will be determined by how well Zook & co. coach up these new defensive starters (many of whom have a little experience) especially in the secondary. The offense needs to be alittle more consistent also.

In the East, I thought UGA was the best team, and probaly still are BUT you have to have a threat of a running game. Next I think its UT. nobody is giving them a chance but if they get a decent QB in there they will be very tough. Next I see UF & USC, who I think will surprise. There is just so much turmoil in UF country. If that team underacheives at all the fan base is going to turn on them quickly. Last year when that happened UF went on a tear, but thats alot to ask two years straight. I think UF has good talent but its a very volatile situation. This is definetly the year that Zook goes one way or the other IMO.

Hey BufordDawg, can you give us a rundown on your other RB's. Are they slashers, power backs, etc?

:lsug:
    :geaux:
    :champs:

5. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Fill me in.

6. SouthLink02

Brown was the #36 overall prospect in the country last year, #2 in Georgia...RB wise
    Lumpkin was a 5-Star RB out of Georgia...#12 overall prospect in the country....
    Ware was 3-Star but has without doubt been the overall most impressive RB in Georgia camp....has maybe shot up to #2 as a true freshman....will soon to be saw
    Cooper was a 4-Star RB who was #8 in Rivals 100 RB list...

So on...

7. BufordDAWG

BufordDAWG Founding Member

First off I really like Cooper. He was very good for us early last year. He has good size and he's pretty quick (5'11" 225). I think it was against South Carolina in week 2 that he busted out close to a 50 yard run very early in the game and the crowd just latched on to him at that point. He was RSed in 2002. The problem is he missed spring drills with migraine headaches. Supposedly they are gone now (hopefully). If so I won't feel quite so bad about losing Lumpkin. Cooper is a very capable back.

Tony Milton was our starter last year until he got knocked out for the season a few weeks into the season. He is a little smaller (5'11" 205) and quicker. I remember him being a pretty good runner and a great blocker. Apparently he's only at 80% now from what I have heard.

Don't know too much about the 2 Freshmen Thomas Brown and Danny Ware but they were highly recruited and it sounds like the people that have seen them practice were impressed but who knows?

If Cooper is healthy I think we will be in good shape.

8. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

All those "stars" won't give David Greene an extra 2 seconds to throw the ball.

9. SouthLink02

I never said it did but the question was whether Richt had recruited the RB position well and that was the answer. He has done a great job.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The only silver lining is that it happened real early in camp. Had it happened the last week of camp or even early in the season, that's a different story. Now, mentally, they can regroup with a new guy being the main guy at RB.

I think the worst thing about this is quality depth has been compromised. Now you really can't afford any more injuries at RB.