(Breaking, sorta) Georgia Starting RB Kregg Lumpkin goes down, knee injury on Mon.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Just out of curiosity, am I underestimating Lumpkin's ability or overestimating Cooper and Milton? I had Lumpkin pegged as a guy who wasn't in let's say the top 20 backs in the country this year, but not much worse than that. Maybe a guy who would get you 1,000-1,100 yards this year. I am thinking that either Cooper or Milton (I haven't seen Brown or Ware play) are capable of still putting up 900-1000 yards. Not much of a difference IMO. Which one of my assumptions is wrong?

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

IMO, Lumpkin had just an insane off-season where he got much stronger and faster....the thing that seperates Lumpkin from Cooper is that Cooper is the type of back where if he gets hit behind the line....he isnt going anywhere.....Lumpkin on the other hand can break tackles left and right and explode....reminds me Vincent in a way.....

Milton is just like Musa....strong upper body and decent speed....is tough to tackle but doesnt have the right-left movement that Cooper/Lump had.

3. BufordDAWG

BufordDAWG Founding Member

Not really, but Lumpkin has the best combination of size, speed, and vision on the team. I wouldn't say Cooper is too far behind him though. Milton is good but not gamebreaking like Lumpkin could have been.

Again there were/are a lot of assumptions about what Lumpkin was going to be able to accomplish this year based on what he showed at the end of last year vs. Ga Tech and a few other games.

He was still our number 1 RB though and he's very talented. It hurts the team but not as much as it could because of the depth.

4. DeepPurple

DeepPurple Founding Member

I hate to see anybody hurt ,but it seems EVERY team loses somebody , last year it was Carey and Addai, somebody has to step up. Ill hold my breath that the Tigers dont have a starter go down, practice is just starting

5. Soap

Soap Founding Member

We had it last year with Amp, hopefully we don't get any big injuries.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

UGA should have a quality team again this year but you still have to go out on the field and win the games. over confidence early usually doesn't translate into meeting expectations over the long haul. Gawga better take this season one game at a time or they could suffer the same fate AU did a couple of seasons ago.

7. SouthLink02

Yes, we are brimming with confidence....just like Auburn was last year....and just like Tenn/Florida did in the 90's....how is that a bad thing?

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Confidence is a great thing for fans and the team, celebrating a national championship before the first game of the season is played is setting yourself up for a big letdown. Gawga has a lot of quality athletes, a good coaching staff and should be confident, just don't get caught looking at the end of the season and forget you have to win the ones that come before also.(see AU 2002):thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

9. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

It's great. I hate when fans of a good team put up this cowardly facade of being humble just in case they get beat because they're afraid of the chit they'll have to take for showing some confidence going into the thing. I tell ya SouthLink, I think we're gonna beat you this year, if you beat us it will be a surprise to me, I'll be miserable, sulking, pouting, hurting and you will have every right to come on here and let loose on me because if we beat you, I will be merciless, condescending, smug, and just plain too happy with the world as a whole. Wow, I can't wait for the UGA game.

10. SouthLink02