Brees to Tampa?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Mar 11, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Uh, NO!
    I'm okay if they want to trade Brees, wouldn't be my first option but he is on the backside of his career, arm strength is certainly on the decline, decision making hasn't been best, perhaps that is because he can't make the throws he once could idk. I am in NO WAY a fan of going after Winston, not in THAT town. May as well let the fox guard the hen house.

fanatic likes this.
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Totally illogical in so many ways. Brees is a future HoF'er and still a top 10 QB in the league, imo, but he is unquestionably on the downside of his career. Nevertheless, you don't trade a guy like that in your division. Ditto for Tampa; you don't give a division rival the number one pick in the draft. Winston to NO is bad for the reasons @shane0911 references, and the Bucs - more than any other team in the league - love to dip into colleges from their region with high draft choices. Winston to TB is a historically natural move for them.

fanatic likes this.
  4. mctiger

Let me add....I have officially given up any pretenses that a player's character matters to me. I watch the Saints and LSU solely for entertainment and to see them win. Its nice (Drew Brees for example) when they can do that with guys who are also pillars in the community, but ultimately, I no longer care what players do on their off time. Just so long as what they do doesn't keep them off the field. Having said that, I realize how bad it would be to turn a guy with Winston's character issues loose in NOLA. We don't need that.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I agree with both post and totally brain farted the fact that Tampa is in our division. That said, I'm not for holding on to a depreciating asset longer than need be. If we can upgrade other positions, make some more room with the cap and get a decent QB then why not. Drew is a great dude, but its business. Loyalty doesn't win the day in the NFL.

mctiger likes this.
  6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Shenanigans.

Winston is everything the Saints' front office detest in a player and everything Payton cares less about as a QB. On top of that, they're not going to send him to a division rival so he can drop 400 yards and 4 TDs on them twice a year. If they trade Brees, they will have his replacement involved in the trade or on the team and it will be to a team in the AFC.

fanatic, tirk and shane0911 like this.
  7. mctiger

Trade him to Tennessee for Mettenberger and at least 2 picks, one at least a 2nd rounder. Deal both Grubbs and Jahri Evans, then use our #1 pick on La'el Collins, giving us an O'line of LT-Armstead, LG-Collins, C-Unger, RG-Lelito, RT-Strief. I have just rebuilt the o'line in front of a promising young QB prospect, and still have a #1 and 2 number 2 picks to start retooling the defense.

b_leblanc and shane0911 like this.
  8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

maybe the saints are floating trade rumors to get brees to renegotiate his deal?

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

They shouldn't have to. He's on the record as saying he'd restructure to help the team. What he means by restructure though is to spread the money he's owed over a few more years, not take a pay cut.

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

thanks, sadly i don't follow the saints as closely as i should