Brees vs Mahomes

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Nov 20, 2018.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Already sick of this debate. As expected, the ESPN/NFL Network talking heads are staining their trousers this morning over Mahomes' 480 yd/6 TDs last night, forgetting that he also turned the ball over 5 times, including 3 ints, including a pick 6, and LOST THE GAME! And I am intentionally making it sound like he personally lost the game, although he obviously didn't. But given that he got 2 possessions in the final 2:00 while trailing by 3, and managed to produce about 20 yards and got picked twice? That's on him. Does anyone believe given the same opportunity, Brees doesn't at the very least get the game to overtime? He certainly doesn't throw two picks.

Some clown on Bleacher Report says Brees gets 40% of his yardage on screens. Complete fabrication. Nick Underhill with The Advocate did the actual math, and its more like 18%, while in fact its Mahomes who gets more yardage on screens then virtually any QB in the league; don't remember his exact ranking, but its top 3.

Peter King said on NFL Net this morning, and I quote:"By the end of the season, Mahomes will have every single season passing record." No he won't. He won't have the QBR record; if he doesn't fall apart, Brees will have it. He won't have the completion percentage record; Brees will have it. Bottom line, in multiple season Brees has achieved the marks that Mahomes is achieving this year, and was told those weren't important in choosing the MVP. Now Brees is achieving the marks that other QBs achieved to take MVPs away from him, and he's being told that someone breaking his old non-MVP marks will keep him from the MVP again. Why the hell does the bar of standards a. seem to keep moving, and b. always seems to be moving away from Brees?

fanatic, ehusson80, Rolan and 2 others like this.
  2. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

I feel ya bro. They can have the MVP. We'll get the Lombardi! Who Dat!

3. mctiger

I agree, but I still hate it for Brees. The guy just can not get his due.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Will anyone sober vote 12 interceptions over 1?

mctiger and ParadiseiNC like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Let's give him the Tigerfan.com MVP trophy. Can have the presentation at Walk On's.

6. mctiger

Let me add this about Mahomes; according to stats on pro-football-reference.com, if current average yds per game prevail, not only will he not break the single season passing record, he won't even lead the league! Matt Ryan is ever so slightly ahead of him.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't want to knock Mahomes. He is a great young QB, the best of the current under 24 group and would be my pick if I was starting a franchise from scratch. But dammit, it's time to give Brees his due. Barring injury Mahomes will get a lot more chances at the MVP.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  8. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Man, well said @mctiger . Let's hope that by voting time they come to their senses. Sports reporters are easily distracted by shiny new things I guess. But it does really seem like they are moving the goal post on him this year.

mctiger, ParadiseiNC and ehusson80 like this.
  9. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

That's basically it...

10. mctiger

So true. This morning on ESPN radio they were raving about how all the teams looking for new coaches this year will be looking for the next offensive genius, like a Sean McVea. Uh, its Payton who's re-inventing offense....did you catch the play they ran in the opening drive where they lined up for a few seconds with no quarterback?