Brees vs Rivers

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by fanatic, Feb 17, 2010.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Ok, so I've been lurking on the Chargers message board because I wanted to get a sense of how their fan base felt about giving up on an eventual Super Bowl MVP. There are some who are very vocal about it being a mistake, but the overwhelming majority on their board feel Rivers is still the better QB.

I get it. Rivers is 'their' QB and they're going to have his back, but they can't really believe what they're saying, right?. Here's the kicker, they said we could plug Rivers into our offense this year and we would've still won the Super Bowl. That's laughable.

They're both talented and PR might even have a stronger arm, but Drew has intangibles the Rivers doesn't, most notably leadership and attitude. Brees is all class and unflappable in the face of pressure. Rivers comes off as cocky and has lost his poise at times.

Below is just one of many posts on the this topic. Not that I expect anyone here to choose Rivers over Brees, but what are your thoughts?

LINK

2. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I get what you're saying, but every few years or so a really good QB wins his first Super Bowl and all of a sudden he's an "unflappable leader with immeasurable intangibles." People even said that about Eli, and he sucks. And they'll say it about Rivers if he wins a Super Bowl (which will never happen as long as he has to play for Norv Turner).

That being said, I do think Brees is the slightly better QB. I also think that San Diego would have won a Super Bowl or two if Payton was their head coach since 2006.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

nah its not because brees won a super bowl hes called unflappable. its because the dude is as accurate as kurt warner in his prime.

hes in a class way above just about everyone else. he just didnt have the pedigree or measurables at any point in his life so he will always be undervalued by the talking heads. hes joe montana-like in size and arm strength but off the charts on everything else.

rivers clearly is too emotional to be a good leader at this point. he was heckling another qb, cutler again i think, on the sideline during the game. both are punks by the way. cutler was also the second coming according to the measurable experts. we see how thats playing out. as we predicted.

brees is light-years ahead of rivers as a leader which is repesented by wins on the field.

rivers can keep padding his stats while racking up losses. brees can keep piling up the wins with no-name receivers and a scared running back with fumbilitis.

2 people like this.
  4. fanatic

Exactly. It would be one thing if this was Brees' breakout year and he was the SB MVP, but he's been pretty consistent since he arrived here. Even the 7-9 and 8-8 years, the offense was still No. 1 in the league. They weren't the problem. Totally agree about Drew's leadership abilities and Rivers being too emotional at times.

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

this.

while rivers had a good year, brees has been money ever since he's been in new orleans.

i would trade jamal brown for many other LT's in the league
    i would trade will smith for a few other DE's in the league
    i would trade our entire receiving corps for other teams corps

i don't know that right now i would trade drew brees for any other QB especially rivers. you'd have to say brady or p. manning to even get me in talks.

you could put rivers in a 2nd tier along with aaron rodgers and romo and favre when they don't suck.

but the real problem for super charger fans is realizing payton's system is way better than turner's and brees is flourishing in it. brees has a level of maturity that rivers isn't even in the same building with and with that, a level of leadership rivers would pray about every night to possess if he actually cared at all in the first place with his wacky throwing motion.

charger fans are either in denial or are straight up haters, but you'd have to be a special kind of idiot to not realize brees >>> rivers.

6. fanatic

:lol: :thumb:

As mentioned, Rivers does have talent and I understand them pimping their QB. In addition, he's not why they haven't advanced further in the playoffs. But those that actually think Rivers is a better QB blinded by their homer-ism or they fit into 327's category above.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Rivers is in the top half of all NFL quarterbacks, probably top 10. But given the Chargers' performance in the playoffs under Rivers, you have to forgive their fans for their blustering....that's all they've got.

<<<best QB in the NFL....period.

2 people like this.
  8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Everyone in the world except those in Southern California agree.:insane:

2 people like this.
  9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The biggest difference between Brees and Rivers is that Brees can survive if the deep ball is taken away from him (see Super Bowl 44).

If Rivers can't throw and connect deep a couple of times per game, his overall effectiveness is downgraded substantially. He is not a dink and dunk QB.

Brees can dink and dunk like no other. But we have also seen he loves to burn you deep if you get too aggressive and has an uncanny accuracy on balls thrown way down the field as well.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

well, i'm pretty sure the saints offense is pretty west coasty anyway, so they survive on the deek and dunk without the deep ball. it's just that it's hard to cover guys like devery, moore, and meachem downfield where sometimes they're the 2nd or 3rd option and along with his accuracy, brees has no problem progressing and finding the open man even if the deep guy isn't the first option, he gets it to them.