Brees vs Rivers

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by fanatic, Feb 17, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

the Colts decided they would not be beat by the long ball or the big gainers in the seam, no matter what

The only shot Brees had all night was the first series when he missed an open Meachem. A little too much adrenaline flowing at that time, otherwise Brees would have dumped the ball right into Meachem's hands in stride.

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

yeah, the saints did a great job as well at taking away the deep ball. other than the long pass to the TE late, i can't think of another deep pass manning had.

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Great post.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

See, I never thought of the Saints offense as a West Coast style. Not sure what you label it. I know they use the short pass to set up the running game and the deep ball, but the formations the Saints use are not prototypically identified with the West Coast offense.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

no this is definitely not a west coast offense

it's a sean payton offense, the likes of which the NFL has never seen

6. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I agree.

Drew Brees = great QB

Drew Brees + Sean Payton = Super Bowl MVP

Those 2 were on the same wavelength and operated an offense that no two other coach/QB combos could come close to.

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Would Joe Montana have been as great of a QB had he not played for Joe Walsh?

I don't think that he would have been. I think that he would have still been pretty damn good, but I don't think that he'd be considered one of the best of all time. Same goes for Kurt Warner and Mike Martz. I think that Drew would have been pretty damn good had he stayed in San Diego, but I don't think that he would be considered one of the best in the NFL. I dont think that just any QB can get plugged into Sean Paytons offense, though.

Drew and Sean make a pretty lethal combination...

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I can't stand Philip Rivers, dude is an arrogant little bitch, and no way in hell i would ever want him as the quarterback of my team. He has good numbers because he plays in a weak ass division, and he is the offense. They have no running game so of course he is going to throw for yards. Also, how many rings does he have? How many times has he choked in the playoffs. Dude won the division in 08 with an 8-8 record. OOOOOOH!!! Screw Rivers and his dumb Alabama ass, give me Brees with his left arm hanging barely off by the meat, and 2 broke ankles before Rivers.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Bill Walsh, unless the guitarist for the Eagles was his quarterbacks coach. :hihi:

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Rivers had a great year and is a premier quarterback in the league. Up until this year they had a great running attack so you can't really say all they do is pass the ball. Is Rivers better than Brees? Hell no, not even close. But when you look back at the decision the Chargers were faced with when Brees's arm was toast, I think they made the right decision. It didn't work out for them but it was really their only choice. Rivers is no scrub, his career qb rating is 4 points higher than Brees.