Brexit

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jmg, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

well, that was a minor surprise.

I think Orlando helped brexit. I think anti immigrant voters made it happen.

I have been saying for years that the EU is finished. It may happen faster than I thought.

Now The uk will suffer the the same fate as non EU Norway and Switzerland, Europes best nations.

2. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

i half think that everyone over in england is having an "oh shit they won moment" it will be interesting to watch this unfold

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Will the Euro still be acceptable currency or is it back to the pound and shilling? And please, no Curt answer from Izzy

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I think the UK will be better off in the long run.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Lots of the polls ahead of the election, and the American markets, were nearly 10% off in prediction.

The UK was taking in far fewer refugees than other EU's. This firmly leaves Germany holding the shit bag. I think France may want to leave now. They never know what to do unless someone else tells them or does it first.

6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I think you are right. The brits are way more racist than we ever thought to be. Easier to come to these conclusions, really.

7. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

World markets are in free fall, Dow is down 525 points at the time of this writing and headed further south. The British pound's value is at it's lowest point in 31 years and over 2 trillion dollars in investment assets have been wiped out. The British economy was the 5th largest in the world on Thursday; today they are the sixth. I hardly see how this is a good thing.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

A little early for outcome predictions, don't you think?

Locally, it bodes well for us. In the long term money will pour into US equities, bonds and commercial real estate. No one will want to be in Euros anymore. Looking at the commercial real estate market that is already tight with nothing in the pipeline other than apartments, I see it exploding in the next few years. I also like blue chip high dividend stocks. The USA is the only place to be with your cash now. more than ever.

After throwing a bit of a tantrum, the EU will get its head out of its rear and make a deal on reasonable terms. They have to--they need the UK as much as the UK needs them. The other countries will be afraid of Germany being so powerful in the EU now, London is still the financial center (and will be post-Brexit), it won't take 2 years. They'll keep basically the same trade terms, just get out of regulating the shape of bananas in London, or how high the fat content of their cheese has to be. It will be Germany's problem now to bail out Greece, Romania...

9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I agree that money will pour into the US; where else are they going to go with it? That said, the fall of the Euro will no doubt further drive up the value of the dollar, which will in turn make it increasingly difficult for US companies to sell their goods overseas. This has already been a major headwind for the economy over the past year or so. This will also throw the feeble EU economy into a tail spin that would further impair demand for US products from European countries.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So what you're saying is that while it will make the dollar stronger that is a bad thing. Maybe it will have a non positive short term effect but in the long run Americans as well as the rest of the world are better off when the dollar is strong.