BRING BACK THE GOLD JERSEYS (baseball)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dlongintexas, Jun 15, 2004.

1. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Thanks. I asked that question to some baseball fans at work. Some said they never heard of it and others tried to BS it. Your explanation seems as if it would fit.

Now I can watch ESPN again and not feel like they are making stuff up for color.

2. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

It is game ending as it means that when hit, the teams "Walk off" the field, hence Walk Off Homerun.

I just think it's silly.

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

The term "walk-off home run" was coined by Dennis Eckersely of the Oakland A's after the famous Kirk Gibson home run to end the first game of the World Series in 1988. Actually, Eck called it a "walk-off job". I can't ever recall seeing a series turn so dramatically on the first game. Jose Canseco had hit a grand slam off the center field camera earlier, and the A's looked to be in control with Eckersely on the mound. He was virtually unhittable as a closer in those days, and is now in the Baseball HOF. Eck's hometown is where I currently live, Fremont, CA.

A little Tiger history goes with this. Mel Didier, ex-LSU baseballer, was the Dodgers scout at the time and told Gibson that he would get the back door slider from the Eck on an 0-2 count. Eck followed form, and Gibson did the rest. His knees were so bad that he probably couldn't have run to first to beat out a hit. He won the game with one of the most improbable home runs in baseball history, which was, of course, a walk-off, because they walked off the field after it was hit....

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is a Walk On's restaurant in Baton Rouge. Warren Morris should open a place and call it Walk Off's.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually GWRBI used to be a stat..... walk-off is just something the new age espn booyaas started adding and its outta control. well of course they walked off the field....any game winning hit ends the game. Walk off sounds so lame I wish it was retired already.

6. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

Twisted tiger....I love that pic...is it photoshoped or real?

7. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Every College World Series we have won I have been out of town. Guess where I am now. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I am out of town and will be throughout the CWS. :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D

8. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I am pretty sure we wore the Gold in 2000 aginst Stanford.........

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's the real deal no editing. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D
    [​IMG]

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They walk off the field on a game winning strikeout or popup too.

The trouble with GWRBI is that it could just as easily happen in the first inning where a guy hits into a double play and still drives in the winning run in a game that his pitcher shuts out the other team.