British Open

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by tirk, Jul 17, 2015.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

DJ looks ready to coast on through this one but we know it never plays that way. I did take adam scott @ 18:1 so my eye is on him.

spieth is having an off day but he cant overpower the course like johnson especially in shitty weather. hes apparently not a mudder.

tiger is done. lefty still in it.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

My mudder was a mudder. Her mudder was a mudder.

Who the hell are Danny Willet, Paul Lawrie and Marc Warren. They are a shot away and I never heard of any of them.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

You should have heard of Paul Lawrie. Been around forever and was gifted a us open when van de Velde shit the bed on the 72nd hole.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Close, but no "gimme's."

It was The Open; played in Carnoustie that year. Justin Leonard snuck into that playoff as well.

Geez...gotta find that video now. I'm laughing thinking back about that second shot on 18...off the stands, hits the wall, shoots backwards into a rough that looked like a...geez, knee deep at least.

(Same year with the dramatic Ryder Cup win...Justin involved in that one as well. 1999.)

tirk likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Lefty blew a US Open a few years ago. He just about had it won and on the 18th hole he put his tee shot into the clubhouse parking lot.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

That was in '06. He put it in a trash can on 17 before that drive on 18. I remember it hitting the tent area but didn't recall it landing in the parking lot...he didn't just pull that drive, he jerked it.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

A decent amount of conversation and live shots of Mark Calc playing today...and speaking of choke jobs.

I was looking at land around the Charleston area the week/weekend they had the Ryder Cup at the Ocean Course ('91.) Calc had Monty dormie (four to play) and ended up halving the match. Yeah, lost the last four in a row. I can still see him sitting on the course bawling before Langer missed a putt.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Lefty's blown quite a few US Open's he has finished 2nd a bunch of times.

Is this it for Tiger? Is he finished? Obviously he ain't catching Jack, but will he ever win another major?

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Not until he gets out of his own head.

Here is the thing with a megalomaniac like Tiger. He keeps screwing with his swing and there is nothing wrong with it. 2 years ago he won 5 tournaments and looked great but he fired Sean Foley and changed his swing. I don't know any golfer that would change their swing after winning 5 tournaments.
    The guy has been swinging a club since he was 3, the muscle memory is there, its all the shit that he has banging around between his ears at address that is his problem.

Here is why it probably won't get any better, HE doesn't realize that HE is the problem and he is surrounded by a bunch of yes men that will never tell him any different. To compound this, the Golf Channel is what it is today because of Tiger so they won't say anything bad about him, they just play along with "well the swing is almost there" same goes for most of the media with the exception of Chambliss and Faldo.

He can do it, but he won't.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

He's like the Nick Cage of golf. Nick Cage was a prodigy, he was Nick Coppola, nephew of Francis Ford Coppola, he started his craft at an early age. He was at the top of his career playing in some good movies, then he just started being in every crap movie imaginable. Now it's expected that Nick Cage is terrible and he is gonna be in a crap movie. That's Tiger, he has laid so many eggs recently it's like I expect him to be around the bottom of the field for every major.

ParadiseiNC likes this.