Britney gets one right

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In contrast with other celeb rants about 9-11 here is Britney's comments to People Magazine.

By Howard Mortman
    MSNBC contributor
    Updated: 7:18 p.m. ET April 13, 2004

WASHINGTON - Three cheers for People magazine. In the midst of America’s continuing discussion and debate over 9/11, People brings us poignant thoughts of that terrible day from the unlikeliest of sources: Britney Spears.

Marking its 30th anniversary, People asked some of America's biggest celebrities to tell us about the moments that defined who they are today.

When I first saw that Britney Spears was offering her thoughts on 9/11, I groaned. Surely, I thought, Spears would take a swipe or two at the Bush administration and government officials, or make some self-righteous political point. Most celebrities do.

Fortunately, People was no soapbox for the sassy singer. Instead, here’s what Ms. Spears supplied:

"One of the most significant things that's happened in the last 30 years was the tragedy of Sept. 11. I was on my way overseas on that sad day and I couldn't get back to the U.S.A. right away, and I was very worried about my brother who was in New York. During this time when the whole world was grieving, I just wanted to go home and be with my family and appreciate life even more."

It’s a simple statement, devoid of political motivation, extraneous themes or other typical celebrity silliness. Any American could have said it. And most probably agree with her.

Full article http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4733689/

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I noticed that her brother lived in New York so it hit close to home for her.

Other people who do nothing but bash Bush and argue against the war on terror most likely didn't know anyone who died that day so it didn't really affect them.

I'm strongly for the war on terror and believe what we're doing is right, I just think its
    funny that all the arm chair qb's know what to do over the Bush Admin in Afghanistan
    and they don't have any idea whats really going on over there, they don't have satellites and intelligence reports but Iraq is taking away from efforts to get Osama.

Yeah right!

I didn't know anyone personnally that day but I still tear up sometimes thinking about it.

God Bless all those innocent people and thier families and God Bless America!

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

That's my cuz!!!!!! (5th to be exact)

She's proof that my fambily is ALL RIGHT... :D

4. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

You take a random quote from a POP STAR and equate that with statements made by established actors, artists or whatever about the Bush administration? Talk about juxtaposition.

They didn't exactly ask her to give her political views on Bush. They asked her for something significant from the past 30 years that defined who she is.

With all of the things that have happened in the past 30 years, you'd have to be an anti-Bush extremist to answer THAT question with some bashing of the president.

It just seems like a big reach to me. Something tells me you wouldn't have posted anything had she talked about the Challenger, Berlin Wall, Princess Di or whatever else.

Nothing against Britney Spears, but she doesn't come across as someone who's even knowledgeable about politics, let alone political. She's a pop star in her early 20s.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thats the whole point. Most of the established stars in the liberal Hollywood crowd would have turned that simple question into a Bush bashing session. Britney might be as dumb as a post but at least she didn't follow the standard Hollywood line.

6. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

You REALLY think that "most celebrities" would take that question (name a world event in the past 30 years that's shaped who you are) and automatically go off on an anti-Bush rant?

That's a personal question. Some event that shaped you, something that personally affected you.

Bush has only been president for 3 of those 30 years. Anyone above the age of 10 has a base of human experience that goes back a little further.

I would think that most people (including "established stars in liberal Hollywood") would talk about some event that happened in their teenage years or early adulthood that shaped them or affected them personally.

Sure there are those entertainers who are vocal against Bush, but they're capable of speaking on other subjects when giving a mundane interview to a fluff magazine.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

The fact of the matter is, most celebrities nowadays take any AND every opportunity they can to take a swipe at the current administration. See
    fatass Dixie Chick Natalie Mains, who wasn't even asked for an opinion.

8. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

The author was talking about how celebrities talk about and use 9-11, because he heard that Britney was talking about 9-11. It was not because the question that was asked by People about the one moment that shaped their lives in the past 30 years. After writing about Britney's answer he then went on to post some some 9-11 examples.
    You missed the point of the article. It was about 9-11 not People's question.

9. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I'll have to side with the pro Britney folks on this one. It is very refreshing to hear her speak of 9-11 the way she did. I wonder how many 20 year olds floating in the bars across the USA can identify with her answer. She is no DR. Rice but as least she spoke about 9-11 in the way it afffected many americans.

Compare and contrast
    Contrast how Britney remembers 9/11 with the lessons her celebrity colleagues have offered on that dark day:

—Madonna, a few days after 9/11: "Violence begets violence."

—Susan Sarandon: "Let us hate war in all its forms,whether the weapon used is a missile or an airplane."

—Alec Baldwin: "What happened in 2000 did as much damage to the pillars of democracy as terrorists did to the pillars of commerce."

—Dustin Hoffman: "I believe that [the Bush] administration has taken the events of Sept. 11 and has manipulated the grief of this country, and I think that's reprehensible."

—Norman Mailer: "What Americans refuse to recognize is that large parts of the world, particularly the most backward nations, see us as cultural oppressors and aesthetic oppressors. …Until America realizes the damage it is doing by insisting that that way of life, the huge profit-making way of life, is not necessarily a good fit for most countries, we are going to be in trouble. We are going to be the most hated nation on earth."

—Backstreet Boys’ Kevin Richardson on Sept. 12, 2001: "I just think we are a little bit of an arrogant nation; and maybe this is a little bit of a humbling experience."

Fortunately, People didn’t ask that surly bunch for 9/11 memories. In her simplicity, Britney was poetic.

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Alec Baldwin...Jon Voight...Timothy Robbins...Barbara Streissand...Sean Penn....Susan Sarandon...

You're right...I could only name half a dozen in about 10 seconds...