Broncos fire Shanahan

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by clair, Dec 30, 2008.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I think Bolen wanted him to make changes to the defensive staff, but he refused and was shown the door.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

The only problem with that is that there hasn't been any stability on that side of the ball in 3 years.
    Jim Bates was shown the door after last year!

I agree with CoTiger btw.

3. clair

clair Rockets

remember that time Portis rushed for well over 1,000 yards and Champ Bailey was hurt for half the season?

Oh, wait. That was this season.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Yea, well, there was a few seasons when Portis was hurt and Champ Bailey was playing.

I kinda think your response was stupid, though.
    There are a lot more running backs available than shut down corners such as Champ Bailey.
    Especially when you look at what Shanahan has done with less talent at running back.
    Sorry

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Although we will never know with any certainty I think there may be some truth to your speculation. I caught parts of Bowlen's and Shanahan's press conferences and Pat hinted that it wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision. Some of the Broncos beat writers have written that Bowlen wanted changes in the defensive staff and Mike balked.

Either Mike is one hell of an actor or he's indeed taking the firing very well. He was very complementary of Bowlen and pretty much said if the roles were reversed he would have done the same thing.

Of course with 20 million coming over the next 3 years assuming he doesn't return to coaching I would be very complimentary of my former boss. :hihi: