Bumstead is nails

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Soap

Soap Founding Member

Should we ride bumstead like they rode Pedro in Boston? Oh and what did they do to that manager? They fired him. I don't hate Laval, but I don't know if we'll win the big games with him. I don't know what hell it is with everybody jumping on people who don't agree with every move the freaking coach makes. I'm sorry, but I've watched Bumstead pitch enough to tell his breakdown was coming. He pitched a of hell of a game but he starts to lose it around over 90 pitches every time.

And if he would have went to the bullpen and lost I would have been glad he at least used the pen.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i was going to be more generous with my assessment but you hit the nail on the head. That is by far the most idiotic post I have read in some time. THIS CRAP ABOUT OVERUSING PITCHERS IS BS. 100 pitches? do you know how much more they throw guys outside of the US then they come over here saying they are 24 when they are 34 yet their arms are fine. What makes you think Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, etc etc can throw 90+ into their 40-'s and 50's? Because they are used to throwing and their bodies are prepared for it. Babying pitchers results in short careers and weakening their overall arm strength since they have no stamina anymore. Don't drink the kool aid. You do not know more than Smoke or Skip. Skip left his pitchers in far longer than Smoke on most occasions. He is developing their mental discipline moreso than anything physical to work their ways out of messes for when they get to Omaha. Its not about the amount of pitches...its the amount of stressful innings and pitches when a guy is seriously laboring.

And of course the infamous quote... I dont think he can take us to the next level. Nice statement for Jim Wells/Mike Bianco or any other coach. Let us know who you think can get us to the next level since we are only #2 in the country..oh yeah, Smoke hasnt won the CWS....thats right we are second tier and so is he til we do. Call Wiederhold and give him your tips on the staff, I am sure you can teach him a lot.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What the hell do you want? Bumstead only gave up 2 runs on 5 hits. He was pitching a shutout until the Thomas homer. Thats when Smoke pulled him. Seems like Smoke pulled him at exactly the right time. Its not like LSU has a closer like Mariano Rivera who automatically starts the 9th in any close game his team has the lead.

It is idiotic to compare Bumstead to Pedro Martinez. Bumstead is a 20 or 21 year old who mostly relies on his breaking stuff and off speed pitchs and location. Pedro is a 35 year old flamethower who rarely goes past the 6th inning. The kind of pitches Pedro throws takes a maximum toll on his arm on every pitch.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's right Tirk. For the Tiger baseball program, there ain't no next level. Soap is one of those fans that have to win every single game or there will be blame to lay.

5. tirk

pedro weighs 160 soaking wet. thats why pedro breaks down. its not normal stress to put on such a small frame with the amount of torque exerted from that body. pedro used to bring it upper 90s.... I wont be surprised if his arm ends up in the catcher's mitt one day. that will make the top 10 highlights on espn i bet.

6. Soap

Soap Founding Member

I disagree, and I'm not that type of fan. Wins and loses at this point in the season don't mean as much. Getting 2 out of 3 on the road in the SEC is always good. I'm just looking more towards the postseason.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

50's might be an exaggeration but there are 2 reason who Ryan and Clemens were able to throw heat into their 40's .

Number one is that both Ryan and the Rocket had tremedous work ethic and maintained a grueling conditioning and workout schedule even into the off season. The first time that Andy Pettite worked out with the 10 year older Clemens Pettite was heaving his guts out way before the workout was halfway finished while Clemens was still going strong.

Number two is that both Ryan and Clemens have near perfect mechanics and physique for a fast ball pitcher and for that reason haven't strained their arms to the point of the kind of serious injury that has caused other flamethrowers to flame out much earlier in their careers. Both Ryan and Clemens have similar builds and the fact that Clemens role model was Ryan caused him to emulate Ryans mechanics.

When Ryan and Joe Niekro were teamates with the Astros Niekro offer to teach Ryan the knuckleball. Ryan refused the offer or he might still be pitching but he said he had always been a power pitcher and would be a power pitcher to the end.

8. tirk

while they can emulate mechanics all they want, the big difference is those guys threw and threw from the time they were young until the time they retire(d). Nowadays, they have the budding stars on such low pitch counts because they dont want to be blamed for ruining a guy's arm and perhaps the big fat contract that would make them rich. then if they make the show, they do not have what it takes to throw as hard for as long as the pitchers of old. Its pretty sad but i guess money rules. Not to mention, even in the minors if they are supposed future stars, they are babied just the same for the same reasons while those without the hype have to truly prove themselves.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Tirk, you are so right about that...

back in the 20's, 30's, 40's and early 50's pitchers threw a lot more innings and didn't have near the arm troubles they have today. One of the old guys that won the Cy Young award back then also was used as a relief pitcher on his between starts. he started something like 5o games and appeared in about another 30 as a relief pitcher. When asked how the relief pitching effected him he said he thought it made him much stronger as the year went along. now a days most pitchers throw 7 ininngs and then have close to a week off with 5 man rotations and at the end of the year they are tired.

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Do you guys think weight training has anything to do with arm troubles of today? For instance, if you work out your arms (biceps, triceps) really hard but neglect your shoulders, you might be prone to more shoulder injuries. Obviously, guys like Clemens know the science behind working out but I could see how many other young pitchers might not give every muscle in their arms the proper attention.