Bush is Stupid That is what Democrats say

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Cottonbowl read history naw....won't happen....

This just shows how biast and what a radical left winger he is.

He will go out of his way and even change history if it fits his
    viewpoint.

2. ColonelHapablap

ColonelHapablap Founding Member

and
    Excuse me? Have you ever read a history book? Or any book at all? Ever heard of Abraham Lincoln? Yeah, Republican. A democrat president was in office when the civil rights laws were passed in the '60s, but Republican congressmen voted for them in far larger percentages than did democrats (eighty something percent against closer to 50.) I will agree that democrats were the ones behind the social welfare state and the 'war on poverty,' but I'm not real sure where the correlation is between enslaving the poor in this country and helping minorities. But back to my original question...

I'd really like to know what the democrat party has done for minorities in this country. I'll even give you the civil rights laws and the war on poverty in the '60s. (I still contend that the republicans were more instrumental to the civil rights laws than were democrats and that the war on poverty has been an abject failure, but I'll even give you a point for good intentions.) In the past, say, 30 years, while compaining about unequal treatment of minorities in every aspect of society, what has the democrat party done for them? Under Bill Clinton, you guys had the white house and congress with WIDE majorities. What did they do? I'm not even asking for things they did that I agree with. Just anything. All I can remember seeing from democrat politicians is a whole load of talk during election time and no action.

3. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

First of all i don't agree with anything that cottonbowl says, however all of you people saying that CB needs to read up on his history need to do so also. Because up until LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 the south voted soildly Democrat, however when he did sign it he said "There goes the South . . ." I don't remember how many years he said, but many democrats, specifically the conservative democrats in the south switched party allegiance.

Again i am a very very fundamental conservative and i oppose everything that CB says but I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions people had. Now i know that everything i said is just going to give fuel to CB to keep up his attack on how all right wingers are racist, which again isn't true as many democrats are racist as well as republicans. In fact everyone is racist in one way or another, no one doesn't harbor ill wills and derogatory feelings towards people of other races.

Anyway i guess to sum up what i said earlier, while CB said that
    is totally untrue as members of the democratic party were the ones trying to fight off civil rights, and while man democrats switched to the republican party during that time, that has no bearing on the platform of the republican party now.

4. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

5. CottonBowl'66

No, you had better read your history books. The Democratic Party LED the fight for Civil Rights in the sixties.

When the fight was mainly "over" the Republican Party came up with a strategy to bring all the white southern racist vote into the Republican Party. That was what the "Southern Strategy" was all about.

The reason large sections of the South to this day are Republican is because it is largely white voters who still vote more by race than anything else.

If the Republican Party had to give up all its white racist southern voters, what would be left in most places would not be enough to field a softball team.

6. MFn G I M P

I never said the Democrats didn't lead the fight for civil rights, Republicans also voted for it as the southern democrats at the time were mostly the ones that didn't want change, that doesn't automatically mean racist. I myself don't like change and like things to be traditional, according to you that must mean that I am a racist and only vote for political candidates because i am a racist. I only said that up until the civil rights act of 1964 was signed the south voted solidly democrat. IMHO, CB, you are probably the most discriminatory person on this board because you are the one talking about how all Republicans are racist and stuff like that without providing any proof. If you want to have people respect your opinion you need to post evidence supporting your points of view. I think that if you truly wanted to have an educated debate with someone then you wouldn't have to resort to name calling, and i know you aren't the only one who does it because i have seen many "conservatives" do it and it pains me to see that. I hate when people don't know how to have an intelligent conversation and keep the name calling out of political conversations/debates.

I was trying to defend you from uneducataed responses because like Voltaire said "I may not believe in what you say, but i will fight to the death to defend your right to say it" That may not be word for word what he said, but it's close enough.

7. MFn G I M P

what's wrong CB, got nothing to say.

8. CottonBowl'66

There is nothing more to say. I am right, you are wrong.

9. MFn G I M P

Wow, way to back up your opinion with facts CB. I forgot that your opinions were the definitive answers on everything political. Remind me to ask you some questions for my next political science paper because i think if the professor sees me mention one of your world renowned opinions I will get a 100% for sure.