Bush's Vietnam War hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CottonBowl'66, Feb 12, 2004.

1. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Bush has stated that he "supported" the Vietnam War. He apparently supported it as long as he himself did not have to fight in it and as long as others did the fighting so he could stay in America and whore, smoke dope, and drink.

That is an important distinction to point out for a man who relishes in dressing up like a pilot and landing on aircraft carriers, a man who calls himself a "war president" and has no qualms whatsoever about sending other people into battle.

He became a pilot in 1968, the year of the Tet Offensive, the siege at Khe Sanh, and the Battle of Hue City. But he deliberately chose a path that would keep him out of the Vietnam War. The Texas Air National Guard was a unit not designated to go to Vietnam, and by joining it he knew it would keep him out of the war.

It is one thing to avoid a war that you honestly oppose and think America should never have gotten involved in. It is entirely another to "support" the war, and later make many speeches in front of veterans groups and conservative political crowds saying how the Vietnam War was a "just war," as he has done, and all the time know that you avoided fighting in it.

It says something about the kind of person George W. Bush is and isn't. There is nothing in Bush's background to admire. If he were not his Daddy's son, he might have a criminal record. He directed one failed company after another, each time getting another high paying management job in another because of who he was.

He got a sweetheart deal with the Texas Rangers because of his Daddy. And he avoided Vietnam but claims he "supported" us being there. What is there to respect about him?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He's the President of the United States. What do you do for a living?

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

i think the iraq war is justified, and yet i would definitely avoid being in it. there is nothing wrong with that. just because a war is justified doesnt mean i want to fight in it. thats simple and obvious to understand.

4. CottonBowl'66

Exactly my point. It is ALL TOO EASY to understand.

I find it appropriate that a war, mainly supported by yellow bellied chicken hawks, who will not fight in it, is being led by two yellow bellied chicken hawks like Bush and Cheney.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

so in order to support a war i must want to go and fight in it?

i didnt say i would dodge the draft if they had one, just that if i could get out of it legitimately i would. for example a student deferrment. seems perfectly reasonable to me.

i dont think its foolish or cowardly to want to avoid wars.

since anyone who wants to and is the correct age can go join the army and fight, but only few do, are all of us civilians who support the war cowards? after all we arent fighting right?

i realize you dont think getting student deferrments is cowardly. you just have to say that because of your personal politics in this case.

6. CottonBowl'66

We are talking about Bush. You have no problem with Bush supporting a war he deliberately avoided serving in, even though he was in the service at the time.

You have no problem with Bush making speeches in front of Chambers of Commerce, Veterans Groups, and Republican lunches saying what a "just cause" Vietnam was, even though he used his name to avoid it.

Let's face it: whatever Bush did, you have no problem with it. He could murder Laura on the steps of the White House and you would have no problem with that.

Rush pulls his strings and you wave your arms.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

pay attention: i dont even listen to rush or particularly like him.

why do you believe its wrong to support something and not want to personaly be involved in it?

i support firefighters too, but i dont want to be one. do you have the capability to understand that you can support something without personally doing it?

for the second time i ask a yes or no question to you:

so in order to support a war i must want to go and fight in it?

true or false?

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Again I ask you, Cotton: What wars have you fought in? What branch of service did you serve in? What makes you so eager to criticize Bush other than you are a pitiful individual who blames the system for his perceived injustices?
    And the killing Laura on the steps thing? That is so 2 weeks ago. Get a new line.

9. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

CB66 Is a fat oozing pimple on the butt of humanity.

He hates himself and the whole world.

CB66 Your only redeeming quality is you are consistent and predictable.

Geaux Tigers

10. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

The slime has no qualities. And we wonder were the "John Malvo" types come from? I don't.