Bye bye Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 14, 2017.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Obama put the regulations in to protect free access to the internet and prevent its manipulation by a few big guys for profit at the public's expense.

Pretty soon the big corporations will be selling us the air we breathe. I'm not being sarcastic. Nestle already gets free water in the very dry state of California and sells it for profit.

2. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

The theory is this: I use the internet to stream Netflix and amazon prime. But I’m stuck with Comcast internet. Since I don’t have Comcast cable television, in theory, Comcast can charge me more for using my bandwidth for streaming. The internet companies have been caught throttling (slowing down) internet users for doing just that. Obama put regulations on those companies saying you can’t throttle users, to let users do their own thing. It was a good thing he did, but this could (again, in theory) cause people to end up paying more for doing what they want on the net. I don’t know if it will have that huge of an impact, but the implications are there.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You are stuck with Comcast because of reasons outside of Net Nuetrality. The internet is still relatively new with regards to infrastructure. Give it time and more, better, providers will pop up like google fiber, etc.

The government tried to fix a problem by creating another.

4. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I was just using Comcast as a reference point.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I don't think you understand the issue.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Are you still using a dialup?

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

It could be rough, but a competitor will pop-up. With benefits of course. I would imagine if you have google fiber, using google apps to stream your TV will be faster. Some view that as a benefit, others as a detriment. However, no different than paying for first class.

My position is that eventually, most major cities will have multiple internet options. Until then, what you guys say “could” happen.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

It really sucks because it puts me in a difficult position and the selfish side is winning internally and I don't like it. Yes it "could " happen but come on, have these guys ever turned down a dollar? Then again, why shouldn't they be able to make what they can make?

LSUpride123 likes this.
  9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

It goes back to the same free speech arguement IMO. We can’t cherry pick this shit.

GiantDuckFan, shane0911 and KyleK like this.
  10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I used to support this btw. But have have changed my tune now. Internet needs to be like the Wild West!