CA Gov signs bill limiting practice

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by uscvball, Jun 20, 2014.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Doing some reading and according to the Sports Concussion Institute, 78% of football concussions happen during games. That leaves, according to them, 22% occurring during practice. My concern with that is the speed of practice vs that of a game. Most of these laws appear to focus on the speed of full contact practice. If they play slow in practice but get nailed full speed in a game, that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Then there is the problem of learning the correct form for tackling. Can it be done within the confines of all these laws?

Interestingly enough, statistics seem to indicate that soccer is worse, women get it worse, so maybe women should give up soccer.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Popularity is directly related to lawsuits I think. These states don't give a rip about the athlete. They want to keep a lid on liability.

The Pac 12 already voluntarily limits full pad contact practice to 2x/week. No wonder we never get to the big dance.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Define "full contact". The majority of schools going back to the 80s and 90s did not go full pads all week. When I played and when I coached we did one day of full pads... is that considered "full contact"? No coach worth a damn has his players going full tilt all week during the season. We did have full pads every day during two-a-days, however.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I have a solution..
    [​IMG]

There you go California... you can be even more like the trash in Europe that you strive to be... We can be spared your overrated 5-stars every year.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I like how he was referred to as governor moonbeam. I sense a deep hatred for hippies. Isn't it smart to do something about it then modify the law as more data comes out? I would also think that preventing youth concussions would be an important topic.

6. LaSalleAve

And South America, and Asia, and Africa and Australia, and just about every country within those continents but hey Murica is speshul hur hur...

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Nothing to do with hippies broseph. New Age nonsense was the cause. I didn't vote for him in round 1 or round 2. Is he completely idiotic? No. However, he's done enough to earn a nickname and it's a common reference.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/why-jerry-brown-is-called-moonbeam.html

Is it smart to "do something" without understanding all the unintended consequences?

8. LaSalleAve

I'm divided, if medical doctors don't agree what would they agree with?