Cafe Gentilly

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by KyleK, Jan 12, 2013.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Lisa would give him a run for his money. That chick has the loudest, most shrill whistle I have ever heard.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Today was a red letter day...

Mobius and his lovely wife came in to the cafe today and it was a real pleasure to meet them for the first time. It turns out that Mrs Mobius (That name better not stick :)) is best friends with the wife of Jason Gendusa, from whom I buy all my Po-boy bread. The Gendusa's were the originators of the Po-boy loaf. Their bakery is a few blocks away...so when you come to eat at the cafe Gentilly, you can't get a fresher po-boy.

Thank you Mobius for coming in. Please return soon. My whole staff (of two) is very, very appreciative of your kind gesture. :cool: !!!!

3. stevescookin

And at the end of the day, KyleK joined us for the first time at the new digs. Kyle is a great friend who I can count on for advice. Thanks Kyle as well !!! :cool:.

We'll have to get some biscuits to your girls soon !!!!!!! :)

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

That was my first time crossing the internet/reality fence. It was fun meeting Steve and seeing the place. It worked out great as we were trying to head that way anyway. I highly recommend the pulled pork sandwich. Steve couldn't have been more friendly and I enjoyed meeting him. It's a shame that I apparently missed Kyle by a few hours. Maybe another time.

5. stevescookin

I forgot to add that a beautiful woman in a Tulane pullover came in with her teenage daughter...turns out it was the wife and daughter of former Tulane QB Terrance Jones. She's a professional geologist. They were both excited about the opening of the cafe....but the daughter was actually meore excited about her chili cheese fries. :)

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  6. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Steve,

Are you in the old Teddy's Grill?

7. stevescookin

I sent you a reply to your pm and it wouldn't post then I saw it post several times....computer must be acting up.

Here's what I replied.

Most definitely !!!

The bull is still up on the poles....and rest assured, heavy doses of BS are served up here daily !!! ;)

Give me a call anytime...Steve Herbert (504) 281 4220 cafe.

8. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Bringing up old memories. I dated Jason's sister Robin back in high school. Damn that was some mighty fine bread. :)

LSUTiga likes this.
  9. stevescookin

A married couple and their daughter came in last night to eat with us at the cafe. They were in town because the man is from Gentilly and his mother's in the hospital and not expected to live much longer...so prayers are in order please.

The man was about 6'5" and pretty solid so the conversation turned to football. He said his son plays TE for UCLA and is hoping to get drafted by the Saints and have Drew Brees pitch to him. It turns out his son is Joseph Fauria a very good TE prospect who's 6'8".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TE

JOSEPH FAURIA

UCLA PAC-12

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View Prospects By Name By Position By College By Grade
    COMBINE RESULTS

GRADE

?

• 17 REPS

• 6'7"HEIGHT
    • 33 3/4"ARM LENGTH
    • 259LBS.WEIGHT
    • 10 7/8"HANDS
    OVERVIEW

Football fans of a certain age might recognize Fauria’s last name (pronounced FORE-ee-aa); his uncle, Christian, played tight end for 13 seasons in the NFL on four teams, with most of his success coming with the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots. Both uncle and nephew played for head coach Rick Neuheisel; Christian at the University of Colorado in the 1990s and Joseph over the past couple of seasons at UCLA, before Jim Mora took over in his senior season.

He actually started his career at Notre Dame in 2008, playing in three games but not making any receptions. A semester-long suspension for a non-athletic violation pushed Fauria into his decision to transfer to back “home” to UCLA; he starred as a pass-catcher and pass rusher for Crespi Carmelite High School in Encino, Calif. He redshirted during his NCAA-mandated year off the field in 2009, and then played a bit role the next season, catching three passes for 21 yards and two touchdowns. But those two scores came in the final two weeks of his sophomore season, portending his blossoming into a reliable target (39 catches, 481 yards, six touchdowns) in 2011. In 2012, while he didn't rack up as many receptions (46) as some might have expected, his 6-foot-7 height made him a dangerous red-zone threat, and a touchdown machine, as he chalked up 12 touchdowns on the season.
    ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Long, athletic player who is an excellent red zone target because he can box out and have great reach for high passes. Possesses solid hands to catch away from his frame. Fluid runner who is a tough ask for linebackers to cover in the middle. Shows some short-area quickness to separate on double-moves and out cuts. Gets out of his three-point stance more quickly than expected given his size. Good balance to snatch the ball on the run and hurdle defensive backs trying to cut him down.
    WEAKNESSES

Very lean build. Flashes some balance and elusiveness after the catch but long legs allow defenders to wrap or trip him up easily. Struggles to get low blocking in-line or trying to hit targets in the open field. Will often be overwhelmed by defenders, struggles to stick on his block.
    NFL COMPARISON

Chase Coffman
    BOTTOM LINE

The nephew of 13-year NFL tight end Christian Fauria transferred from Notre Dame back home to southern California three years ago, but finally flashed the top-100 talent everyone knew he possessed in 2011 (39 catches, 481 yards, six touchdowns) by using his height, length and unexpected foot quickness to make plays around and over the top of defenders. He further demonstrated these qualities in 2012 en route to 12 receiving touchdowns. Fauria is an impressive red-zone threat due to his height and ability to box defenders out, but he is fairly unimpressive after the catch in the middle of the field. He also has more than his fair share of struggles as a run blocker.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

That's good because with Drew's contract, we may not be able to re-sign Graham. If I'm not mistaken, he's a FA after this year, so we need another tall and fast TE for insurance.