Cajun Microwave

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Sep 28, 2015.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I searched and can't find any threads on this. Hard to believe it's never come up.

@ Bengal B I was passing through VP today and had to stop at that feed store I told you about. I took two pictures of the smaller one they sell. The lady working said she thinks it's 24 X 24. I didn't measure. These are not as fancy as the guy in Marksville but better than many of the lower end ones I've seen. They are $350.00.

I sent shane a text with the pictures for him to post for me. I can but it takes me a while. If he's pissy today and doesn't get around to it I will later when I have time.

I know I'll catch hell for posting a thread about pics...without pics.Trying to help a friend so kiss my grits.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

It may have gotten dropped when we lost the old round table because of bud lees boobie and butts threads. I know there was a discussion on them because I might have started it. I didn't get your text foo, try again.

3. shane0911

You sent them to my son
    2015092895153429.jpg 2015092895153420.jpg

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

@shane0911 , Dude, why did you switch numbers with Little Shane? That shit's gonna get you in trouble sooner or later.

5. shane0911

Hell it already has

6. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I would imagine the apple didn't fall far from the tree and they will both have consequences.....

How do these cajun microwaves work? Do you put coals on top and bottom of whatever you are cooking? I've heard about them and eaten things off them but never understood exactly how they work.....would make a great gift for my man.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They are like a big dutch oven. The coals go on the lid.

8. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I've never used a Dutch Oven either.....are the sidewalls/interior so well insulated it holds the heat like a green egg, if you've seen those?

I also presume to check what you are cooking you have to remove the coals from the top or can you access it from the sides? I had some giant pork roast out of one of those things one time and it was divine but I didn't pay to much attention to how the "microwave" was engineered, blame it on the bourbon.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The lids on a dutch oven and on a cajun microwave have a rim that holds the coals. You lift the whole lid with the coals on it to check. Some boxes are wood and lined with stainless steel, others are steel only. It gets plenty hot enough to cook a pig.

Personally I like a pig cooked on an open pit to get that smoked flavor, but it takes a lot longer.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I have two numbers for you in my phone. One says cell and the other says work. Apparently you found the pictures so let me know if I have the right number.

I hear those green eggs are the tits. Have never seen one.

On the checking what's cooking, like red said, you raise the lid to check but you don't want to do that often cause you lose all your heat when you do that.

There's a guy in Marksville that makes the nicest ones I've seen. There also so fine-tuned you can bake a cake in them. Well I guess you could in this one too. Guy in Marksville's probably start around 1,000 bucks.