Cal Bear fan going to an LSU game-I hope

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by piemelon, Jan 28, 2011.

1. piemelon

piemelon Freshman

This early in the year-

It's hard to plan obviously, but the Florida game sure looks attractive. Cal is playing Oregon @ Oregon on the 6th, a Thursday night game, so I won't be missing a Cal home game. Just have to wait and see what develops. I get the impression that whether a game is daytime or night at LSU may not be known until deep into the season? If so, I'll just have to roll the dice. From what I've read, an LSU game is going to be fun day or night

2. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

They're all scheduled as 7pm kick offs. The TV contracts however allow the networks to change the times if they pick up the game for broadcast. some will be announced a like a month before the season starts. However they always have to option to pick up others as the season goes.

3. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

You may be able to make an educated guess if you have faith in yourself predicting team's records.

On the day of the Florida game:

Vanderbilt @ Alabama- Not CBS
    Auburn @ Arkansas- Possibly CBS
    Georgia @ Tennessee- Possibly CBS
    Kentucky @ SC- Possibly CBS
    Miss St @ UAB- Not CBS
    Ole Miss- Bye week

CBS games are midday. SEC gets the night spot on ESPN usually, and the primetime match ups are ABC usually. If ESPN decides to have gameday at LSU this year, there's a good chance it will be for the UF game, especially with how the game ended last year. If that's the case, it will be a night game. Even if they go somewhere else, that just means the game will be on ESPN as opposed to ABC, assuming we aren't picked for CBS.

The way I see it, I think it's unlikely that UF @ LSU is a CBS game. I think the Georgia/UT and Auburn/Arkansas games stand a better chance of being picked. I think it's more likely LSU @ Tennessee the week after is a CBS game. I would also bet LSU @ Alabama is going to be, as well as Arkansas, since it's a Friday game anyway.

I'll be following this closely as well, since Syracuse plays Tulane on the same day in NO and I want to make 2 games in 1 day.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

that is going to be extremely difficult. trust me, cause greenie has tried. it will help if it is when lsu has a weak ooc game so traffic is much easier to handle. if its a uf kind of game, you may be phucked.

but when the time rolls around, let me know and i will help you plot out the strategy. i think greenie and i have looked at every scenerio for how to do that.

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

If you don't try to park too close to the stadium it's much easier. I use the lot at the park on Stanford. It's a walk but you also bypass the traffic by walking by it. There is a lighted walking path all the way to campus. Once you get to your car on the way out it's a 15-20 minute ride to I-10. I can leave the stadium at 10:15 or so and be at my house in Walker by 11:30...at the latest.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If you don't want to walk a long way there are lots of guys around with those pedal propelled rickshaws. For a fee they will take you right up to campus and then after the game take one back to your car

7. cam02$$bags

cam02$$bags Veteran Member

although not retired yet, as someone closer to 40ish years old, I would recommend staying in baton rouge saturday.

unless you are hellbent on drinking/gambling then there is no reason to drive back to new orleans after the game.

Make sure you pick a game we win, lol, then hang out for several hours on campus at tailgate spots and the sports bars on/near campus (just follow the crowd)...they will have large outdoor areas where everyone is kind of hanging out, and its a wide age mix (college kids to retiree's).

The drive from BR to new orleans is a joke sunday morning on game day. Leave at 9 am and you will be in new orleans at 10am, parking will still be easy then and you can walk around a bit. They are gutting the inside of the dome as we speak and the entire lower bowl and concourses will be new this season with lots of large club areas, and entertainment inside of the dome (concourses are 18ft wide right now, they will be 60 feet wide next season)......so you will find plenty to fill your time. There will also be a live band in champions square right outside of the dome.

So....i would officially rec:

Fly in thursday to New orleans, spend thurs/fri night in new orleans and tour the city during the day.

Drive to baton rouge sat morning/afternoon depending on game time and hang out at tiger stadium all day....hotel in baton rouge that night.

Sunday drive back to new orleans, leaving baton rouge between 8am-9am.

you should really hook up with someone from this board for game day so they can tell you the sights to see on the LSU campus.

Regarding seats:
    Tiger stadium: DONT sit in either upper deck....find lower bowl tickets, endzones are fine....there is a BIG difference between upper deck and lower bowl at tiger stadium.

Superdome....well, hard to say since the entire lower bowl is being gutted, but the best seats are:

1. first row of level 200 (club level)....this is the best view in the house and give you access to the food and beverage clubs.

2. Back rows (20+) of level 1 between the 30's.

3. ANY 1st row seats on level 1 (between the 30's row 7 or 8 was actually first row)....some people bitch that you cant see the action, but we've never had that problem and you get interaction with the players, NFL network, mascots, cheerleeders, etc.

4. AVOID like the plague the 300 or higher sections of the dome....better to watch on t.v.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

or just pm me, and i will make sure you know how to find team katt (where i tailgate) and tdt, our "sister tailgate". we both love to have fans of other schools and show em how we tailgate in baton rouge. at the very least to have you stop by for a bit of food and drink as you make the rounds.

9. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Here is another option for you. Gonzales La. is about 30 minutes from tiger stadium and less than an hour from the superdome. My wife is a manager of a very nice Hampton Inn there on hwy 30. Hwy 30 takes you directly in front of the stadium. There would be no turns to miss and get lost. The hotel is also on interstate 10 that takes you straight to the dome in about an hour. There is also a cabellas next to the hotel if you like that sort of thing. It's not in a tourist attraction location but it does put you in a position to get to both games especially tiger stadium about 20 miles away on the same hwy. If you decide to go this route I can assure you a room. Hope you enjoy your trip. Both Baton Rouge and New Orleans are fun places. I recommend ,if you have time, to check out the national d-day museum in New Orleans while your here. It's a first class opperation and I enjoy going there very much. I was surprised a place like that would be in N. O. and not Washington DC. Get in touch with me if you need help with a room. There are Hampton inns in Baton Rouge and New Orleans also and my wife can possibly help you. Send me a pm if your interested and I will get my wife to help you out. LSU!

10. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

And they say LSU fans are rude and obnoxious!