California girls' basketball coach suspended after 161-2 win

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by MikeInLa, Jan 17, 2015.

1. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

Spotted this during my morning coffee. What do you think? Should the coach have been suspended? I disagree with the suspension. For one thing, the other team had previous "lopsided" losses, obviously they aren't very good. Seems to me the coach of the losing team either needs to be fired or needs to get with the game and "coach". These stories of teams beating other teams (in all sports) where one beats the other VERY handily... then people cry because the winning team kept on scoring is ridiculous. Its a sport, its a GAME. And in "timed" sports, you play until the buzzer or the whistle. So if its halftime and you're already 90 points on top, what do you do? LOL... put in your newer players and keep pounding away.

Full article here: California girls' basketball coach suspended after 161-2 win
    "SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) - A Southern California high school basketball coach has been suspended and faces accusations of mercilessly running up the score after his team won a game 161-2, one of the most lopsided scores in state history.

Arroyo Valley High girls' coach Michael Anderson was suspended for two games after the victory last week against Bloomington High.

Anderson said that he wasn't trying to run up the score or embarrass the opposition. His team had won four previous games by at least 70 points, and Bloomington had already lost a game by 91.
    "

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I heard that story yesterday on the radio. The halftime score was 101-1. The coach of the winning team pulled all of the starters in the 3rd quarter and told his team not to shoot until there were 7 seconds on the shot clock. He asked the ref to go to a running clock but California rules say that you can't use a running clock until the 4th quarter.
    This country is fucked if its so pussified that a coach gets suspended for doing his job really well. Lets give all the girls on the losing team a trophy and a pat on the back. We wouldn't want their precious self-esteem to be damaged. I wonder if they even really feel that bad about it. I've been in games where my team got blown out and in games where my team lost a close one. I feel worse about the close ones. In a blowout its, well, they were just better than us but in a close game you always think that if you had done something differently you could have changed the outcome.

3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Wow. PC at its finest.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Arroyo had won 4 previous games by 70 or more points and won the game the coach was suspended by 61. I'm wondering if Arroyo is an inner city school in a league full of preppy white girl schools.

5. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

I was thinking the same thing

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

No. Arroyo Valley HS is in the city of San Bernardino. I don't think you'll find any preppy white girl schools out there. Bloomington is in Colton. Both schools are in San Berdoo County which is mostly minority (Hispanic) and poor white folks. Lots of low income, immigrant populations and seasonal workers.

7. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, and other details that came out are that in the first half when they were up by 70, they still had 1st team in the game, and they were pressing on defense. You guys who talk about pussification, should also be addressing sportsmanship and class, too. No matter what the justification about playing other players, and still playing hard for 60min, etc., there comes a time when you say other things are at play at this level, like the opponent's self-esteem. You just don't play pressing defense when you are up by 30, much less 70, in the first half. The shocking part of that score isn't just the 161, but the 2. No way a team only scores 2 points in an entire game w/o swarming, pressing defense the entire time. At some point, enough is enough.

Herb likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Pussy

9. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

If that is sarcasm, so be it. If not, let's meet up and see who the pussy is.

Herb likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

All I am saying is that its not bad sportsmanship to play your regular style even when the scrubs are in the game. That's how they learn. If that team is so much better than the other teams in the league maybe they should be playing up in class but that's not up to the coach. I doubt if the girls on the losing team had their lives ruined by the experience. If you and I were considered pretty equal in basketball and you beat me in a game of one on one by 100-98 I might feel bad that I couldn't have played just a little bit better. If I played one on one with LeBron James and he beat me 100-2 I might feel pretty good that I was even able to score 2 points on him.