California Wildfires

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HeadsUp, Nov 10, 2018.

1. HeadsUp

HeadsUp Veteran Member

Don't want bad things happening to anyone except Nick but I'm sick and tired of Jerry Brown pleading for assistance while thumbing his nose at virtually every federal statute, guideline, whatever. Yank up all those sanctuary citizens by their flip-flop straps and let em beat out the flames with their serapes!

2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

998f279e3a61aa88844c4bcff4c58b7e.jpg
    "Ahhhh look at those beautiful fires, we gonna blame this on Trump!"

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Moonbeam is officially out of office now but I'm curious as to what he thumbed his nose at that would have prevented what we are seeing right now. If you connect the dots, I'm completely on board. Having sanctuary anything is stupid but again, nothing to do with the fires. Paradise, CA has literally been wiped off the map. It's like 95% white and Republican. They don't have any industry that would employ illegals.

Disasters, natural and otherwise are suffered by people outside of political opinion and to those who don't like or didn't vote for the assholes who run things.

Winston1, kcal and HalloweenRun like this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

what mismanagement is trump tweeting about

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

No clue, I don't follow his tweets. I did see a headline today saying Trump was lashing out at CA but I didn't care to read the article. If I had to guess he directed comments toward the management of forests/land and if so, he is correct.

The Endangered Species Act has basically turned thousands of acres into neglected territory. The USFS’s inventory data of National forests in California show an average of 266 trees per acre on a landscape that can only sustain 40-100 trees per acre.

"In a 2011 Settlement Agreement Fish and Wildlife agreed to a specific plan that would require they evaluate a certain number of species per year for listing under the Endangered Species Act until they had exhausted the list. As of Sept. 3 the list had grown to 757 species. So it is likely that the list will never be exhausted."

So while these stupid pseudo-environmentalists keep things tied up in courtrooms, land is being ignored and brush isn't being cleared. It's a state full of natural kindling.

"“There is no doubt that litigation has had a profound impact on the Forest Service and subsequently the management and mismanagement of our national forests. Millions of taxpayer dollars are spent on shuffling paper, over-analysis and ensuring process is followed. We currently estimate planning and environmental analyses are roughly 60% of the costs of forest management projects,” stated Subcommittee Chairman Tom McClintock (CA-04). “The increased cost of paperwork does not translate into greater benefits to the environment. In fact, it’s just the opposite. The greatest threat to many endangered species and their habitat is catastrophic wildfire. Yet rather than thinning the forest to protect this habitat, we’re spending millions upon millions on extraordinarily long, complicated, voluminous documents that impede our ability to properly manage the forests for the benefit of all species.”

Former U.S. Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth stated in written testimony,“While many environmental laws were originally passed for good reason at a time when more checks and balances were needed, the situation has dramatically changed. Now communities are coming together at unprecedented levels to find common ground and to address the increasing threats of insects, disease, invasive species and wildfire. Unfortunately, the sheer multitude of laws, and their expansion by the courts have led to processes almost unintelligible to reasonable people. All of us understand that significantly more restoration needs to occur through aggressive active management.”

“We do not have a fire problem on our nation’s forests, we have a land management problem, and it needs to be addressed quickly,”Bosworth reiterated during the hearing."

I can totally get on board with this point of view but I still don't see a connection between this and sanctuary city crap. Yes, horrible government management. I'm actually more annoyed at the media attention currently being given to people like Bruce Jenner, the kardassians, and Martin Sheen. And entire town has been incinerated so pardon me if I don't lose sleep over multi-millionaires having some inconvenience.

If Trump did tweet about this, he is correct but his timing sucks. He gets no money from CA so that's how it goes. Sort of like Bush flying over Katrina trying to look forlorn.

kcal likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Rams cancelled practice yesterday because of the smoke.

And shame on you @uscvball for not having more sympathy for the refugees driven from their Malibu beach houses and being forced to hunker down at some villa in Cabo or a ski resort with Aspen. The horror, the horror.

Winston1, watson1880 and GiantDuckFan like this.
  7. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Forest management. Brown and his ilk are so caught up in environmental regs that they allow years of refuse to build up over time .... then a spark gives you what your seeing today.

Before ..... a spark happened and it burnt down the whole damn place ..... to start again fresh.

Control burns and better forest management would go a long way towards “lessening” the hazard. But the fact remains, .... wild fires in Cali are what hurricanes are to the gulf coast, or tornadoes are to Kansas. They going to happen. If you build your house there, sooner or later it will get burned.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

It's bad. Once the smoke hits your area, it permeates everything. A couple of these current fires moved faster than I've ever seen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really don't wish destruction or loss of home on anyone but those are not the faces I care to see right now when entire communities have been gutted.

LSUTiga, Bengal B and GiantDuckFan like this.
  9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Are they flying any aerial spray missions?

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Dam that shit really is scary.