Calvin Johnson's non-TD

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Sep 12, 2010.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Travesty.

He had possession in the end zone, landed on his butt with the ball in control.

WTF is "through the process of the catch"?

They was robbed.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

correct call
    terrible rule

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Same exact as the PGA championship.

5. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I think the VP of officiating is covering his guys' butts. That call would not have been called by 99% of the refs out there. He had possession, sat down, and lifted himself off of the ground with the ball as it slipped. Awful call.

How can you make a "football move" (or whatever you call it now) in the endzone? There's nowhere else to go.

It was practically a one-handed catch.

But again, you can't play a game where you give the refs the make or break decision. Had the Lions played better and were up two touchdowns, people wouldn't be as irritated.

6. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGX2q_eer1g]YouTube - F*CK THE NFL IM NOT PAYING OR WATCHING ANY MORE GAMES LIONS CALVIN JOHNSON ROBBED[/ame]

7. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

That is an absolutely tough call to make. Normally it's when you land you must maintain control, or when you fall out of bounds. I don't think the rule is bad, it might have been applied in the wrong situation. It's clear he had control of it in the end zone, and therefore the play should have been dead that instant, not after he had started to get up.

They are lucky it was the home team that won because of it, because had it happened in Philly or Cleveland there would probably be some garbage being thrown at the refs.

8. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Horrible call... I saw this on TV and the ref in the picture signaled TOUCHDOWN. Calvin caught the ball in the end zone with two feet and was falling down. Two feet inbounds is possesion. And really, one hand fully controlled the ball plenty. It is a catch.

Detroit got jobbed. The closest official's call was overruled/overturned by a conference of the officials on the field BEFORE the review. At this moment, the head ref has to find evidence to overturn the call back to a TD. As soon as that conference changed the call, the review was pointless. Fox even went to the former head of officials to explain the rule and was the call before the review, incomplete pass, was correct.

This just goes back to the Lance Moore's Superbowl catch on the extra point, who's right as they were both catches or not catches?

9. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

worst call i've ever seen. exactly how long does a WR have to hold onto the ball? he caught it, landed with both feet, landed on his rear end, started to get up and ball comes out. pitiful rule.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I disagree, i think this rule is too subjective, because to me, he possessed the ball all the way through the play, and when he tried to use the ball to prop himself up off the ground, it came loose, after the play. Like they pointed out on NBC last night, how is that not a touchdown, and Lance Moore's touchdown in the Super Bowl last year a touchdown? I think it was a bad call, and a worse review. Detroit got jobbed out of one of their only wins of the season.