Calvin Johnson's non-TD

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Sep 12, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yep.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

it's a horrible RULE.

according to the RULE, that was not a catch.

3. LaSalleAve

sorry man but that is subjective. i saw a play last night in the KC game, it was actually the 2nd touchdown by the Chiefs. Tight end leaps in the air, both feet off the ground in the endzone to make the grab, comes down 2 feet, boom boom, and then spikes the ball immediately after. Touchdown.

To me, and you saw it a completely different way, he was using the ball to get up after the play was over.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

didn't see the KC touchdown, so i can't comment (did the ground cause him to spike it?).

saw the calvin johnson replay 6 billion times now.
    it was called correctly, but it is one of the worst rules the nfl has to offer.

to me personally, it should be a TD. but i don't get a vote when it comes to rules changes.

5. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

If a running back fumbles the football after crossing the plane of the goal is it a fumble or a TD? The "fumble" rule says it is a fumble. However, the "TD" rule overrules the "fumble" rule. What does he have to do, cook a bowl of chili, knit a sweater? He had possession, both feet down across the goal line. I don't care what the "catch" rule is. The "TD" rule supercedes it.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Incorrect.
    The play is over as soon as the rb breaks the plane, anything after that is irrelevant. .

The wr in the endzone is not a TD until it is a catch.
    The td cannot happen until the catch happens.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Because of two totally different ways of determining if the same thing has been accomplished: possession of a catch in the end zone. The league has to fix this immediately. I doubt it will be addressed until the off-season, however.

To my knowledge, NASCAR is the only sport with the moxie to change a bad rule as soon as it gets outed.

8. LaSalleAve

I think I heard that the NHL changed a rule last season midseason. Cant remember what it was though.

9. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

turribul turribul turribul call.

10. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Call was correct. The rule is the problem. It's ironic that the ex-head of officiating was being video conferenced in the announcers booth during the review and was explaining why it wasn't a catch. He was also lamenting the rule but the interpretation of the rule was correct.

As for Moore's 2 pt conversion, he caught the ball and while going to the ground, placed the ball over the goal line, hit the ground, held on and then had the ball kicked out of his hand by the defender. Play was dead as soon as he hit the ground and maintained possession even though it took slow motion to prove it.