Calvin Johnson's non-TD

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Sep 12, 2010.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

So what was different about Johnson's play? Remember, all Moore did was break the plane of the goal with the ball in both hands. Johnson also broken the plane of the goal with both hands, and established himself in the end zone with both feet, and even brought the ball to the ground, all the while demonstrating no worse control of the ball than did Moore, who, like Johnson, never tucked the ball away. I'll take it a step further; I believe Johnson had better control of the ball than Moore. There is absolutely no reason that there should be two different ways of interpreting what happened on those two plays.

2. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

He lost the ball in the process of getting UP, not in the process of falling DOWN. Rule, shmule - it was a bad interpretation of a bad rule. TD!!! Give LSUDieHard some fantasy football points. Peace, out.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

moore already "completed the catch" and THEN reached for the goal line.
    i honestly thought that his was incomplete though (due to this rule)

we see this called a lot, just not on outcome deciding TDs with less than a minute to go. if this exact play happened at the 46 yd line with 12 minutes to geaux in the 3rd, you never would have even seen a replay of it. EVER (unless you were watching the game at the time it happened).

the rule is absolute crap. worse than the "tuck rule".
    but the rule is in place, and this was called correctly according to the rule.

4. mctiger

Apologies for taking another swing at this dead horse, but after reading a columnist's opinion that the call was correct, I suddenly remembered seeing the video I've linked below: Direct your attention to 1:45 and beyond and tell me if this ref read the same rule book as the ones involved in Megatron's non-catch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFm8Axdra54&feature=related"]YouTube - Refs 2 Blown Calls Cost Saints Against 49ers Oct. 8, 1989[/ame]

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

video doesn't work, so didn't see the play (kinda remember them from when they happened), but this particular rule is only a couple years old.

so the rule in effect for the game in '89 was different than the one this past weekend.

6. mctiger

YouTube has gotten really wonky with their embedded video policies. When you try to play the one hear and get denied, click on the youtube logo at top left. It will open the video in a new window.