Cam Cameron officially OC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsudolemite, Feb 15, 2013.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I don't drink anymore..............course, I don't drink any less.;)

Attack Tiger likes this.
  2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Man, neither of those sound right. Wtf?

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

It's because you are a youngster and correct tenses aren't as important in your generation's world :)

plotalot likes this.
  4. Contained Chaos

Just curious, but how young do you think I am? (No peeking at my profile, even though you have it bookmarked)

5. KyleK

I'd guess mid 30's.

6. Contained Chaos

You did peek! But since we're going to make a thing of it:

From Dictionary.com:
    For "drunk:"
    It says "nonstandard", which is actually what people mean when they say "improper" English (there is no such think as proper/improper, only standard/nonstandard).

So I guess you're mid-30s, too? :D

7. KyleK

From the rest of the quote that you left out:

However, the past-tense form in u, though considered nonstandard, occurs often in speech: We drunk our coffee.
    The standard and most frequent form of the past participle of drink in both speech and writing is drunk : Who has drunk all the milk? However, perhaps because of the association of drunk with intoxication, drank is widely used as a past participle in speech by educated persons and must be considered an alternate standard form: The tourists had drank their fill of the scenery. See also drunk.

So mine is most frequently used but I'll give you yours too. I was actually just referring to all of the slang and shortcuts created from texting that the generations behind me use, not attacking you personally. It's all good amigo. :)

Didn't peek and still haven't. I'm 52.

thing ;)

8. Contained Chaos

Oh, I didn't leave it out; I just stopped reading when I saw something that ever so slightly proved me right. :D

I do like this part, though:
    :D

Oh, I wasn't taking it personally at all. Just passing the time in a hellishly slow week at the office. I knew what the insinuation was in re: texting, etc., but my generation is actually just ahead of that one. When I was graduating high school ('97), "internet" was barely a household term. We still have a fond appreciation for the English language, and shudder at the widespread acceptance of its bastardization. Did you know that they don't even teach kids how to write in cursive anymore? How in the hell are they supposed to sign their names when they get older??

9. KyleK

I love watching my kids type. When I was in HS, MS. Sones would watch us like a hawk to make sure we were using the proper finger on the proper key. Since my daughters are self-taught, there are no rules. They type just as fast as me, but the same key might be hit by two or three different fingers in the same sentence.

Yeah, this is a slow week for me too. Monday should be fun though.

As to the educated part of the quote, yep I left it in as a peace offering ;)

10. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Came for football received a grammar lesson. Disappointed!