Cam Newton - Pay Me Now?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Uncle Milty, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rbc

rbc Freshman

what wold they have to gain by holding him out. the horse is out the barn now. if he's guilty he was guilty all season so it dose not help now by holding him out at this point.

1 person likes this.
  2. doinwork

doinwork Freshman

A few things regarding the espn.com story, "Cash sought for Cam Newton":

* The only allegation is that money was sought for Cam Newton.

* The person alleged to have shopped Newton is a former Mississippi State player, Kenny Rogers.

* Rogers has a checkered past that includes an ongoing investigation by the NFL.

* Rogers allegedly sought money from Mississippi State, not Auburn.

* There aren't any allegations that Newton's father, Cecil Newton, asked for money.

* Auburn has been aware of the allegations and has one of the more aggressive compliance departments in the NCAA. Yet Cam Newton has been eligible, and remains eligible.

* The NCAA took Cam's father's personal finacial records, as well as the church financial records over 2 months ago, and the fact that Cam still suits up speaks volumes in my opinion. Means they haven't found anything........yet.

* Auburn in the past has had a very strict policy on sitting players when in question to situations like this, so I doubt (and could be blatantly wrong), but doubt they would let him dress and play in all 9 games this season if Auburn's reputation as a whole was in jeopardy.

All that being said, if we cheated, then we deserve every ounce of what comes our way. I hope we didn't, not only for Cam and this season, but for our fans and players in the future.

WDE

2 people like this.
  3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I agree with our Auburn friend.
    I dont think this is anything... It may be true but I doubt Auburn would be so stupid to essentially risk their entire program which is now (again) on par with the elite programs.

Now its possible a booster could be in the mix, but frankly I think this will end up being nothing that will hurt Auburn directly.
    Just a hunch......

4. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Why hold him out now? I just as soon vacate 12 games as 9. If they hold him out, they probably can forget the undefeated season. As slow as the NCAA moves, it will be two or three years until they reach a decision.

I have a MSU grad who comes into my office daily. About two months or so ago, he told me something that some of his friends from MSU had told him. First, Cam had really wanted to go to MSU. He supposedly was real close to Mullen and his wife. Second....there was a certain church that was to have some "work" done on it. If that church work was not completed by a certain date, then Cam would go to MSU. If it was, then he would go to Auburn. Supposedly, the work "just was" completed on time. I took what he was saying as just the typical rumor mill.....now, I wonder. Perhaps it wasn't just MSU envy.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I agree as well, but here is the sticking point. If AU is part of it, meaning that they knew about the alleged payment or even are who made the payment, than side lining Cam at this point would almost be an admission of guilt.

1 person likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Good response. Just a lot of smoke so far.

Only I wouldn't take too much comfort that the NCAA hasn't moved in two months. Look how long it took them to nail Bama . . . and even longer to nail USC over Reggie Bush.

7. doinwork

doinwork Freshman

I agree on the why sit him now part, becasuse if we have to vacate 9, might as well vacate them all. But, in regards to the church, you may be slightly wrong. The church in question was in fact needing repairs and in desperate need of attention. The church however in September, said that it could now meet building codes in six months, due to receiving revised plans. I am not one to question facts or even judge things to quickly, but this comes off as a little fishy to me. We did not make any conversation, or even look at going after Cam until early November of last year. I am not sure how we went after him in November and December, but had already given money and revised plans for the church 2 or 3 months prior. As I have said before, Auburn could be 100% in the wrong, and if we are then we deserve punishment to the fullest extent, however something just is not adding up to me.

Below I have found and given the address to the church artilce. Notice the date, it says September 23, 2009.

Pastor says church can meet building code within 6 months - The Times-Herald

WDE

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

what if auburn is thinking to themselves, even if the rumors are true there is no way in hell we win a championship without cam newton. so either way we are probably going to lose scholarships, so may as well play him. When we look back on Reggie Bush, even though his heisman was stripped, we all know who won the heisman that year.

9. doinwork

doinwork Freshman

Thank you, and I know there is a lot of smoke now, and I truly hope that is all it is. I agree on how long it took the NCAA to find out on Bama and USC, because they usually move at glacier pace. But for them to be on top of this so quickly, also made me raise an eyebrow on how it may not be all true. But if they are moving on this so fast, maybe they are doing the same with the financial records. Again this is all my speculation, and I try to be as non "hommer" as I can, but something inside me leans towards being innocent.

10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Gotta say for an AU fan you are being very rational and looking at both sides. Not sure I wouldn't be defending LSU full bore until proven guilty.