Cam Newton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tlo1507, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

To be more specific, running QBs rarely have any sustained or championship success. I don't think a running QB has EVER won a SB. It was when Steve Young decided to be more of a pocket passer that he became a Hall of Fame QB. Also, the better Vick gets at throwing the ball, the better QB he will become. Sure Mike Vick circa 2002, 2004 and Vince Young have had really good years, but a run first QB may never win a championship and will probably never make the Hall of Fame. Pro Bowls, sure, but not the highest level of success. IMO, of course.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I didn't know Abe Lincoln was Jewish!

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree with you.

Steve Young, John Elway were the only 2 quarterbacks I can think of, well now Aaron Rodgers also, that had serviceable wheels. But if you look at their careers, they were accurate passing quarterbacks that could scramble, if they had too, well I guess Steve Young kind of started as that wacky AFL scrambling passer, he is kind of an anomaly. Guys like Vick and VY are running quarterbacks who can throw from time to time, but are more dangerous outside the pocket than in. I don't think we will ever see the day that a guy like that wins a super bowl.

4. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

If Cam is drafted as a QB in rounds 1-5, I'd love to hear from that team's GM on why they picked him so early. Cam really should be on the list of undrafted free agents to maybe call when the draft is over.

5. King Joey

King Joey Founding Member

Steve McNair came about 2 1/2 feet from winning a Super Bowl, and I expect he will be in the Hall of Fame someday. And McNabb is another I expect to see in Canton. I'd be surprised if some running QB doesn't do both relatively soon (next 10 years or so). It's just a matter of time and probabilities, imo.

:eek:ldskule::geaux::eek:ldskule:

6. KerryS

KerryS Founding Member

If Cam Newton had played QB for LSU, I bet this thread would be a lot different. I saw him make many throws last year that were absolutely perfect. I just don't get why people say he can't throw the ball. Give the guy credit. He won a championship for his team. If he falters in the future, so be it. But don't condemn him to failure before even giving him a chance. Jeez...

1 person likes this.
  7. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

Who cares? He went to Auburn, he is Tiger Bait. The same can be said for Tim Tebow. However, Tebow never had a touch of the controversy Scam Newton has cause in his ONE season at Auburn.

I hope he falls harder than a sack of bricks.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

But he didn't play for LSU so if away if you like it means nothing. Most people dislike him because of his arrogance and off the field issues. Most Draft experts say he has serious accuracy problems,it's not just LSU fans. I'll admit I do hope he fails and it's 100% because of the pay to play scam that he and his dad pulled.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

How can you say such a thing? He had no knowledge whatsoever of what was going on and just blindly accepted and did everything Cecil told him to do. I know this is true because the NCAA says so. :dis: (sarc off)

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

If....

Okay lets break this down. If Scam played for LSU I would hope the university would have had enough integrity to not pay him to do so. Note I said "hope" I'm sure it goes on and in that case I "hope" they are smart enough to cover their tracks. I don't like the guy, his attitude, his cockiness/arrogance it just doesn't come off well.

As for his NFL value, I for one would say it would be exactly the same. I don't think he has it upstairs to handle what NFL caliber defenses will throw at him. Sure he made a pass or two or three that looked real good in college. The thing is, that was college, there is a term for a pass that is thrown six inches off target in the NFL. They call it an interception.

$cam will get someone fired.