Campaign Music

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Jun 17, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, of course the most successful artist in rock music history is billionaire who ekes out a living on $60 million a year, mostly from his investments. He has a 7-figure income from royalties he rightly deserves. But Mickey Dolenz, who is not terribly wealthy, manages to make a living on the $100,000 or so that he makes annually on sales and royalties of Monkees recordings because people are still playing them and buying them.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So since he can't afford a jet he has to take The Last Train to Clarksville?

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah the ones that usually care, their music sucks anyway and I would never play it, so it's all good.

4. red55

So, you've never played copyrighted popular recordings from major labels? I don't believe that, Hondo.

5. LaSalleAve

Yes I have, but most of the stuff I play is underground stuff. I like Hondo by the way I think that's the best name I've been called on here.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Here is the thing, I did a little research on these ASCAP folks. They are straight up dickheads. They shut down this little mom and pop eatery that was having local kids do performances once a month, original work stuff not covering anyone and the money that was collected was given to charities of fallen service member as well as police and firemans families. Wow.

Here is the thing, an artist can perform their original work on any stage at any time without any royalties due BUT these ASCAP fucks can still come in an demand the people pay, not only them but there is BMI and some other nazi group that is actually a profit group that will try and bilk you for money as well. This needs to be corralled.

LaSalleAve likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Some people are just plain assholes. In Florida last year police shut down an 8 year old girl's neighborhod lemonade stand because a busybody bitch neighbor complained about it.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What would you do about a neighborhood bar with a couple of TVs and is open from noon until whatever closing time is in OKC. People stop by after work to drink and like right now they would probably have a major league baseball game on but nobody is going to stay until the game is over just to watch it. But a lot of those same people will stay and watch a whole OU football or basketball game or a Thunder game.

9. LaSalleAve

Corporate ass suckers, meanwhile artistry dies.

10. red55

Good luck changing the laws of the world to fit your narrow viewpoint. In every country intellectual property rights are protected or creators could not be paid. BMI is just the British version of ASCAP. There are not nazis, you don't even know what a nazi is, apparently. It's just the non-profit group that represents composers and music publishers. Entirely legal, it was the eatery that was breaking the law and robbing composers of their tiny royalties.

ASCAP did not shut down the mom and pop eatery, they just informed them that they owed ASCAP $600 for an entire year of rights to perform the music. $50 friggin' dollars a month. They spend more than that on straws. And it was not original music being performed, it was covers of copyrighted songs.