Campaign Music

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Even $50 a month seems high for a Mom and Pop place that just has some local garage bands. $10 would be more like it.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's based on seating, the place sat 70 people and $50/month is a negligible expense. 70 people. If they turn tables over only 3 times it is 210 customers a day and 6300 customers a month. Brother, that is 3/4th's of a penny per customer. What phony outrage! They would begrudge a royalty that small to the people who composed the friggin' music that other people are making money on? What cheapskate thieves they are.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Bullshit. BMI came in right after ASCAP and wanted $700 then the other one for profit wanted more than that. You need to read the article, it was local songwriters performing THEIR own material and these fucks still shut them down.

Nazis, freaking right out of the Gestapo playbook.

4. red55

ASCAP cannot "shut down" a business. All they can do is inform a place of the fees they owe and sue them for it if they refuse to pay. I read the article, I noticed you didn't link it, but I found it. The business was not shut down. The owners agreed to pay when they found out that they owed the fees. They later chose not to pay any of the royalties and voluntarily ended the $25 a ticket concerts. Their decision. $25 a ticket and they didn't want to pay the 3/4 cent royalty out of it.

And the bands were playing covers alongside original material. As the article mentioned, "that's all it takes".

This ignorance is astonishing. Your really don't know what a nazi is. This is basic copyright law. If they think they don't owe the fees they could just take it to court and let a judge decide. But they will lose and they know it.

5. shane0911

Wrong again and you didn't read the article because there wasn't a $25 cover, the concert was free and they passed a hat for donations.

May not have shut them down buy forced them to stop with the shows. It's bullshit

Bauhaus actually explained to ASCAP that all of their musicians play original music and ASCAP shot back “how do you know?

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/per...sesac-force-local-coffee-shop-shut-live-music

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  6. red55

The club decided that paying less than one cent per customer wasn't worth it. Their decision.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I want you to show where the artists who created the intellectual property are being compensated. They aren't making shit. ASCAP has nothing to do with compensating artists, it's about getting money for record labels. Record labels and companies who are far worse than any one who downloads a song or plays a cover, or plays some music in a bar.

tirk likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If they were concered about the artists they would have done something to help those old black blues and early rock n roll and r & b musicians who got screwed out of their money by Shuster promoters and agents and ended up broke.

LaSalleAve likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Exactly, it's not about intellectual property because the people who are actually creating that music are getting screwed either way.

That's why you don't see a ton of them fighting pirating. They aren't getting paid either way so may as well get your music out there and hope that there are people like me who if I get a song and I like it, I'll go buy their shit.

Let's take the band Strung Out for example. I pirated Exile in Oblivion like 10 years ago, and liked it so much I bought 10 other Strung Out albums, T-Shirts, and just bought their new album a week ago.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  10. shane0911

Again, you didn't read it. They paid ASCAP their $600 but when BMI and SECSAC came in and wanted to run it up almost double that they couldn't afford it. Not when it was local kids doing original material.