Camping

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Oct 24, 2013.

1. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Is that birds? Looks yummy......very cool

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Doves.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Thought you were cooking turtle.

4. LSUTiga

I did. That picture was months ago and at my house.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Carpet, tin roofs, generators and stoves are NOT CAMPING, you candy-ass.

People call rustic cabins fishing camps or hunting camps, but it is not camping. When you really camp, you sleep on the ground, sit on the ground, build a fire on the ground, fabric keeps the water off your head and you get there by infantry maneuver, not in a truck or a boat.

It's true that I live frugally in a inauspicious small house, but I also still own my mothers extremely large, nice house on acreage. Never judge a book by its cover, Jethro.

6. LSUTiga

There are different types of camping knuckle head. Ever hear of people who purchase/own "campers"? It's a multi-million dollar industry. Duh.

You're one a them preppers ain't you?

I actually have no knowledge of what kind of dwelling you reside in. It was just a poke in fun since you speak of camping on the river, etc. I have to admit thought, the candy-ass comment really was funny and made me laugh.

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I have to agree with red. In college all I had was water, vienna sausages and a hammock. I'd spend a couple days lost in Kisatchee...

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Indeed it is and RV's are not "camping" either. I'm glad it gets people out into the country, especially the elderly who maybe can't do much hiking, squatting, fire building and such anymore. But sitting inside your air-conditioned camper and cooking on gas and sleeping in a bed is hardly roughing it. It is definitely not a wilderness experience. Im kind of a purist on outdoors experiences. They require being outdoors!

9. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

All looks really good. I always enjoy cooking "real" food for folks that dont get to have much if ever. Monday night this week we had a little jackolantern carving party at my place. Mostly folks from around me but a few were "subdivision" families(nothing wrong with that) that never get to see anything cooked over coals on the ground or eat anything wild at all. So the menu for the night was bacon wrapped doves and squirrels in my old dutch oven over pecan coals. The wife also had some hotdogs and smores stuff just in case some of the kids wouldnt eat it.......the hotdogs still sit in the fridge unopened. They absolutely wiped it out. Thought I made plenty for me to have a little left for lunch Tues....wrong......a maggot would have starved to death on what was left. Of course the smores got ate up too(i had 3 of em those dern things are just freaking good.)

KyleK likes this.
  10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Why do you have to 'rough it' to be considered camping? I would disagree with you in that it is a wilderness experience, as long as you're in a remote location and are enjoying nature. What difference does the rest of it make?

This may sound like a smart ass question, but it's not. I'm genuinely curious since you're an outdoor purist. How do you feel about tents? Do those conform to the purist outdoor lifestyle or do you sleep in a sleeping bag?

gyver and LSUTiga like this.