Camping

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUGradin99, May 13, 2005.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are many designated camping sites in Kisatchie Forest that you can drive to. Detailed maps are available from Kisatchie Forest Rangers. Long hiking trails for backpacking are a bit more rare in this state. But with a good map its fairly easy to strike out across county in the managed national forests and make your own route. There are many faint old logging trails and firebreak lanes to follow and to help orient yourself.

Don't do it in deer season. I made that mistake once. After two days of peaceful fall backpacking in Kisatchie, we awoke early one morning and it sounded like World War Three in the woods. Deer season had begun and we encountered about 8 hunters on the way out. We started making a lot of noise and singing Iko, Iko to warn hunters of our approach. Hunters are not fond of backpacking hippies that make a lot of noise where they are hunting. But fuck 'em. They also shoot at noises before they identify their targets.

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Once I've done a few overnights in this area and feel like I am comfortable with my equipment (getting good brands on closeout, used, etc.) I plan to head up to Kisatchie. My eventual goal is to through-hike the Ozark Trail (230 miles) in Missouri.

gyver likes this.
  3. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Hiking the Adirondack Trail is on my bucket list.
    This year I plan on camping on sandbars and bass fishing every oxbow between Tunica county and Greenville.
    Tent, bass boat, Dutch oven cooker, and of course my Thermacells.

4. locoguano

Heading to Tishomingo State Park in Mississippi this Sunday. Rented a cabin for a few days (built in the 1930s by the CCC. No, that's not it in the picture.) and will be doing some dayhiking. Tishomingo is considered to be in the foothills of the Appalachians.

[​IMG]

red55 likes this.
  5. locoguano

6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

shane0911 likes this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Dude, there is a monkey in your pocket . . .

KyleK likes this.
  8. locoguano

He goes everywhere with us... His name is Pleepleus.

9. locoguano

After hiking a bit in hilly, rocky areas I am finding that I want more. Hiking and camping in swampy South Louisiana just does not appeal to me... I guess familiarity breeds contempt.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its too humid and there are always too many mosquitoes and other stinging flying insects.