Camping

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUGradin99, May 13, 2005.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Come the end of May, I will be following Horace Greeley's advice... "Go west, young man..."

LSUDad likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I may go to the Sierras this summer myself. Still high country there that I have not explored.

3. locoguano

I've never been west of Houston. We did not travel much growing up and never had the money or time in my 20s. My 30s have been preoccupied with the kid and my wife was more of a beach person. I have recently convinced her that the mountains are the place to be... Road trip time.

LSUTiga, Tiger Exile and LSUDad like this.
  4. locoguano

Oh, how a second kid at 38 can change plans...

LSUTiga and KyleK like this.
  5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

If you have boat try the Atchafalaya Basin in the late fall and warm days in the winter. You can pretty much camp where there are no posted signs. Firewood is just everywhere and the fishing and scenry is great.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Lots of mosquitoes too

7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

One would think that right off. If you go late Oct on into the winter when the night temp is in the 50's range there may be a few but they dont bite too lethargic. Been doing this every year for 25 years one of the best kept secrets in La. Unless you believe in swamp monsters there is nothing in there to fear even snakes. Too wet for copperheads and rattlesnakes and too cold and dry for moccasins. Speaking of moccasins haven't seen one in the basin for 15 years and I believe its because of the alligators. The gator population has increased dramatically in the last 20 years which is why I haven't seen any nutria in the last 15 years either. Fishing and hunting is very good that time of year too.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

May be headed to Johnson Bayou to camp/hunt ducks this weekend. Used to hunt there a lot back in the 80's with my dad. We had a lease about 5 miles west of Holly Beach. Back then there was a point system and your limit was 100 or whatever the last one killed was that put you over 100. Pintails were 10 points so it was legal to take 10 per day/per man.

9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

It would surprise you how much high and land there is in the the Atchafalaya Basin. Its very much a wilderness camping adventure in that there are no roads, electricity or much of anything else in there other than an occasional hunting camp. I lived and worked in Alaska for 3 years and did a bit of wilderness camping while there. It was truly a wilderness experience but a lot more dangerous than camping in the Atchafalaya. I find the experience in the basin just as enjoyable.

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I spent a few days at Holly Beach back in my youth.