Camping

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUGradin99, May 13, 2005.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

2. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Percy Quinn is about 45 miles or so from where I live, we have never been there camping though.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Kumbayaaaa My Lorrrrd, Kumbayaaaaa!

I had a few bad experiences with large church and youth groups at Percy Quin. It's a nice park for a hike, but not much of a wilderness camping experience.

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I figure it would not be crowded during the winter months though. However, I could be wrong and will call ahead of time.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I went through a 2 week Combat and Survival school there in 1968. I was in the 4th Mobile Comm Group out of Altus AFB, OK.

6. LSUGradin99

Went there yesterday after LSU game. We enjoyed this place. Pretty nice setup for tent camping and the place is nice to visit. Nothing like camping in temps below 30 too. :thumb:

Percy Quin State Park:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

i must have missed something, are you camping in antarcttica?

one summer when i was in college a friend and i drove out to california to mt whitney (tallest mountain in the US that isnt in alaska) and it was hot as hell, but then as we climbed it got so cold and eventually we had to camp in the snow next to a frozen lake. damn, that was cold.

a big problem i have had when camping that really pisses me off is i am always somehow in some protected park or something with a no-campfire rule. sucks.

8. LSUGradin99

lol, what a poorly worded statement I made

9. LSUGradin99

That seems to be pretty common now. Lots of places I have called to check on have said there were parish burn bans in those areas. Some of them do have specific campsites with fire rings you can use though, even with the burn ban. I rather camp in cold temps so a campfire is a must!

10. col reb

col reb Founding Member

As you exit from Percy Quin, take a left until you come to a stop. That is Hwy. 24. Hang a right and go east. You will come to Bogue Chitto campground. Not my thing, but many float the river here. You can rent canoes and tubes. CAN BE DANGEROUS THOUGH!!!! Every year, it seems like someone just has to screw up....too much booze.....jumping off cliffs into shallow water......just such stuff. Last I heard, they try to patrol for booze etc. pretty well....