Camping

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUGradin99, May 13, 2005.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Pretty neat SF. If I understand correctly, they tow you out into the swamp where you are then anchored for your stay? as for the bateau, does it have a motor, or just paddles?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It has a small outboard, but that'll get you around Henderson just fine. It's in some of the pictures. The owner checks on you once a day to make sure everything's working and will ferry out supplies if you need ice, etc. He'll run a tab at the landing if you want him to.

3. sassylsufan2002

sassylsufan2002 Founding Member

Just a thought but couldn't the paramedic be female??? ;)

4. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

No. The females are paramours, not paramedics. :hihi:

5. sassylsufan2002

sassylsufan2002 Founding Member

either way 8 loose women + 1 paramour = 9 females ;)

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Thanks for the advice. We went looking and liked this Coleman for about $100. Being a novice, I'm unsure about the flexible poles. This had the kind of flex rods it looked like every other tent has now........Then they have tie-down rods also to keep the tent on the ground. I can see though if things got really windy how it would get interesting.........

7. LSUGradin99

Yeah, I have one of those. It's now staying in storage since my girlfriend bought me a better one for christmas. The new one has rigid metal rods that fit into one another and form the framework and support the tent. We slept through a heavy rainstorm and steady gusting wind this past weekend with no problems.

Waterproofing the tent is a must but it does not keep it all out. So we also drape a tarp over the tent to aid with keeping the water out. (see my photos in thread). This also keeps wind from passing through.

I imagine the tents you mostly see are like this:

[​IMG]

Well, that's what my old one is like. The windows are kinda on the top -- which is bad from the start. Then that roof/cover that goes over the top is a pain. It catches wind really well and causes that type of tent to cave in.

The tent we have now is a Timber Creek Brand. I believe my gf bought it from Academy. Here is a closeup of it:

8. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Good tips. I appreciate the help and we'll be sure to go to Academy to at least choose the one we want. Thanks again. I'll let you know which one we get.

9. LSUGradin99

I'm sure any type would be fine. Most people are not crazy like me and choose to go when the weather is nice. I don't care what it's like, it's all fun to me. :D

Of course with camping in this area, you never really know if a storm will come up during the night or not. Better to plan accordingly just in case.

We're heading to Percy Quin again on the weekend of March 11th.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If you haven't camped in Kisatchie, spring is the best time to do it. The Red Dirt wilderness area near Nachitoches is really great.

There are developed campgrounds at Valentine Lake, Cotile Lake, and several others near Alexandria. If you do backpacking or day hiking, the Wild Azalea Trail goes from Valentine Lake to Woodworth through some nice piney hills and hardwood bottoms, including a small area of virgin forest. The best time to do the trail is when the wild azaleas and dogwoods are in bloom and that is coming up soon.

LSUDad likes this.