Campo Talk Again:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by clair, Feb 3, 2005.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Woody has had some great defenses and has quite a resume.

This if from the SLU website shortly after he was hired.

Widenhofer, 59, whose ample experience as a head coach and defensive coordinator spans the collegiate and professional ranks, has served as head coach at high-profile I-A programs, been a head coach in the defunct United States Football League and helped mold arguably the finest NFL defense of all-time.

His association with football coaching excellence began in his playing days as a linebacker for Dan Devine at Missouri. He went on to work at Michigan State, Eastern Michigan and the University of Minnesota before agreeing to become linebacker coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1973. The struggling AFL franchise blossomed during Widenhofer's tenure and its defense, especially Widenhofer's linebacking corps of Andy Russell, Jack Lambert and Jack Ham, began to dominate the league. After four years - and two Super Bowls - Widenhofer becamethe Steelers' defensive coordinator, witnessing the famed "Steel Curtain" defense capture two more Super Bowl titles.

In 1984, Widenhofer joined the upstart USFL, coaching quarterback Doug Williams and the Oklahoma Outlaws to a 6-12 record.

Widenhofer, a Pennsylvania native and 1965 graduate of Missouri, returned to his alma mater in 1985 to take over head coaching duties. The undermanned Tigers slowly improved under Widenhofer, but failed to post a winning campaign during his four-year reign.

Following his stay at Missouri, Widenhofer returned to the professional ranks as defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions in 1989. He spent four years in Detroit and two more with the Cleveland Browns before newly hired Vanderbilt coach Rob Dowhower invited Widenhofer to oversee the Commodore defense in 1995.

Vanderbilt realized meager success under Dowhower but Widenhofer's defenses, as became the norm, continued to be feared by opponents. The defensive-minded Commodores just missed upsets of Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida and Tennessee during the two-year period.

In 1997 Vanderbilt administrators named Widenhofer as the school's 25th head coach. But despite outstanding effort and several near misses, the Commodores never realized overwhelming success.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Hah! Great post! I can't believe nobody else has told you so! Did you make a few enemies around here, because that is really a great post. It belongs in the archives.

3. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Grazie, grazie.

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I don't agree with much, but that's actually pretty funny...Not funny enough to give you rep points, mind you...but it's funny....

5. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

I feel like a circus performer, shamelessly pandering for applause ... oh well, take what you can get.

Gracias.

Heck for all I know the dude's dad MAY have spotted Dave Campo on Bourbon Street ... it just strikes me as hilarious. I mean, OK, we all assume Miles is pursuing Campo for DC ... what's the guy doing on BOURBON STREET? Did he go to the Mike Price School of How To Impress People and Win Friends? "Dave Campo, you were just hired as LSU defensive coordinator ... what are you going to do?" Campeaux: "I'm going to Bourbon Street!!" Maybe Les threw in a couple (pair of?) perks to sweeten the pot for Dave so he'd give up his NFL pension.

Then again, there are a LOT of strange folks on Bourbon Street, as the late great Buddy D would have said, "Squoills" (Yat for "squirrel"), so I think it's more likely that wasn't really Dave Campo, but, a Dave Campeaux impersonator.

Man, it sucks being in Ohio at Mardi Gras time! I'd be on the neutral ground right now at Canal and Carrollton, drinking Dixie beer, getting ready for Endymion and the post-parade feast at Liuzza's! So anyway, for you New Orleans LSU fans, attending Mardi Gras parades this weekend, keep an eye out for Campeaux, Spurrier, Bo Pelini, Ara Parseghian, Tim Floyd, or any other coach rumored to be headed to the Ole War Skule, as they might be riding as the King of Bacchus, Grand Marshall of Endymion, or Orpheus!! Save those Dave Campo red Bacchus doubloons, they'll be collectors' items one day!

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

TE, just out of curiousity - do you ever agree with any one? :grin:

BTW, TigerJeffrey, I thought that was funny. You must be working a tough room!

7. medtiger

medtiger Founding Member

that was a great post!